Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

my Clown is confused with Anemones

I changed the lay out of tha rocks in my tank moving them agains the back of the tank instead of the middle, I know it might have caused the fish and the inverts some stress but it will be the last time i stick my hand in my tank for reaaranging reasons...

Now my question is, my condy anemones moved too close to my gold-striped maroon clown's host anemone (long tentacle anemone) now it is switching between the two types, is this normal?

I just thought it's odd because I know for sure that the most picky of anemone's are the maroon clown, should I be happy that it is now cuddling with the condy?

Could my long tentacle be dead? It looks inflated and all but it hasnt moved since i put it in the tank 4 days ago.

Please help.. TIA

EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: my Clown is confused with Anemones

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenings
Now my question is, my condy anemones moved too close to my gold-striped maroon clown's host anemone (long tentacle anemone) now it is switching between the two types, is this normal?
More normal than you'd think. When I had my condy was in the same tank as the yellow ritteri many many years ago I also had an Ocellaris that would go back and forth all day. In my 27 I have a wee green ritteri and a sebae that the two clowns also hop back and forth between quite regularly. The proximity of the two anmeones to each other does make a large difference though.

Quote:
Could my long tentacle be dead? It looks inflated and all but it hasnt moved since i put it in the tank 4 days ago.
Not moving is actually a good thing
Anemone's will not always attack each other and quite often will live quite close to another species without conflict. As long as each has enough "expansion" room, it should be all good. Keep running carbon just to be safe though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-25-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

just who i hoped would answer my questions... sounds copacetic to me.

I was just worried because i've read that condy anemones are not usual hosts for clownfishes and that they don't have that kind of relationship with the clowns.. although clowns have that immunity towards certain anemone's I don't want the condy's to eat my clown and the long tentacle anemone... I'm willing to give up the condy's only if it would mean the safety of my long tentacle and my clown fish...

But they way you put it steve cannot be any better... Thanke for being there to the rescue...

by the way, I like that part of your advice where it said "many many years ago"... It made me chuckle.. that goes to show how many many years of experience u have.
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
steve-s

It actually has very little to to with the anemone but moreso the clown ability to acclimate itself to the host. While condylactis would not be a clowns natural host, it is more than possible. Personally I wouldn't sweat it.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anemone, anemones, clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com