My clownfish need somewhere to sleep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

febrocky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first got my clownfish, I got them and a patch of live seaweed on the same day. They are the only fish in my tank and they started to sleep in the seaweed every night together. Then I got a blue legged hermit crab and it ate and eventually killed the seaweed and the clowns looked a little lost because I have nothing else for them to host so as a quick fix I added two fake plants which they really seem to love. They sleep together in one and sometimes they each sleep in their own. The fake plants ruin the reef look I’m going for and cyano gets caught on them. I don’t really want to add any other type of plant either. I’m trying to go full reef but I was thinking of getting some kelp or something for them to sleep in? I don’t know how removing the plants will affect them. I don’t exactly want an anemone right now either. I’ve had one but they didn’t really take to it, it just seems like they really love sleeping in long plants because that’s what they’re used to. Any advice?

build some caves within the rock they'll find it and settle in .
clowns don;t need nems or coral to host a hole in a rock is just fine

Last edited:
There are some realistic looking fake Anemones made from silicone or something which moves in the water (there are some which do NOT look very real too, lol). Have read the Clowns will hang out there too and maybe a cave. Mine slept in and
around caves and seemed fine with that.

This popped up when I looked for how realistic they were as an example. I'd tuck it into some rock so it looks more realistic, rather than the placement in the video.

Sometimes, the fish will get too territorial when hosting "their" special anemone too btw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom