Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

my coral is closed up - any ideas?

I got this guy from lfs and they didn't provide me with the name... It partially closed up few days ago, and I am not sure what the problem is. Water checked out OK ammonia/nitrites/nitrate = 0. The only things I have done to a tank is added more live rock and installed more powerful lights (marineland led coral capable).

I also noticed that there is something growing on one of the rocks - it was already there when I brought the rock, but has gotten bigger in a week. Pictured are attached. Any ideas???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2094779388.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	83490   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3954327730.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	83491  

Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Could be the new lights, move them down in the tank and see if that helps.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

I am not sure I can move them down - they are sitting on top of the hood. The new light are MUCH more powerful then the old one. I used to have one 15W T8 tube, which was also very old. Could it be too much light???
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry I meant move the Zoa's (look like zoa's) to the bottom of the tank away from the direct light and see if they acclamate better. If you had an old T8 and went right to LED they could be freaking out. I think it's called light shock.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

oh I see, I will try that... It makes sense, totally. I hope I didn't kill it (or part of it) Maybe I will move to the bottom and in shade for some time.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Doesn't look dead...
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Which light did you get exactly, and what size/depth tank is it? Everything I have read on those Marineland LEDs is that the PAR is abysmal... it could be a lack of light as opposed to too much light...
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The picture on the right looks like a Palythoa to me.

As fort384, technical reviews on the Marineland "Reef Capable" LEDs indicate they really aren't (reef capable). I did see a tank with TWO of those units on it in That Fish Place that looked to be sustaining / growing some LPS, shrooms and zoas.

That aside, I have to think they are brighter than an old 15W T8 bulb. Zoas are a little finnicky IME when it comes to almost any change. You could try screening the new light (place a screen under the light to dim it). If they were established, I'd bet they open back up in a couple of days. If they are new, you might try relocating them to an area with more or less flow.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #9

I moved the coral to the bottom an a bit in shade. I doubt that it it caused by lack of light since it did OK under T8 15w. I hope this will help and he will open back up.

I know Marineland LEDs are lousy lights - it wasn't very smart investment on my side. I will have to supplement it later, but for now I am going with more or less hardy corals anyways, since I am the beginner.

Is it possible for Palethoa to grow on top of zoas? I see two Paly looking buds on my closed up zoa. I know Palethoas are toxic. Can it be choking my zoa?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I doubt they are growing ontop of the zoas. Take another picture, I'd bet you have algae growing ontop of it. Needs more flow.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com