Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

my fan is strange

I'm moving along with this 120 fish only with live rock 120 gallon tank of mine....I conquered the very loud noise coming from the overflows with the construction of Stockman-type Standpipes and a little very fine tuning that they needed once they were up and running. Now I have yet another noise problem, and noise problems aren't good because the tank's right here with my wife who watches tv in this room, so I have to get this solved....I have a new Custom Sea Life lighting unit on top (Yeah, they went out of business just about 10 days after I got mine...but it does look god) Well, when I put it on top of the tank and the fan went on (it automatically goes on when the second pair of bulbs goes on) it ran nice and quiet but once it has been running for a while it starts to make a kind of loud, very rapid clicking noise that it really annoying....Has anyone experienced this kind of fan noise....AND, doe anyone know what to do about it? THANKS

Old 06-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Mine runs fine.

Just a note. I have my actinics on the fan circuit so when any lights are on the fan is on. I don't think running the bulbs fanless is as good an idea.

Old 06-12-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: my fan is strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi
it ran nice and quiet but once it has been running for a while it starts to make a kind of loud, very rapid clicking noise that it really annoying....Has anyone experienced this kind of fan noise....AND, doe anyone know what to do about it?
Sounds like the bearings on the fan are shot. It will make a noise like it's loose or has something stuck in it. They are very easy to replace. I would contact the place you purchased the hood. Many resellers are honouring the warranties. If that fails, the fan you need is >>here<<. Just be sure when/if you replace the fan, it pulls air out and not push's air in.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's hard to believe that the bearings are shot already because I only ran the fan for one day before the noise started. But, who knows...it could be faulty materials in the manufacturing of the item. Anyway...I will call Marine Depot, through which I got the lights. And I'm also going to look into that fan....I hope it isn't too complicated to change the fan, though....But if I have to, I will manage....THANKS a lot.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
steve-s

Marine Depot is still selling their units so hopefully they will honor the warranty. If not, the fan is very easy to switch out. Takes about 10 minutes and there is no way to botch the wiring. It will do what it's supposed to no matter how it's wired. I would suggest getting crimping connectors though. It's too much hassle to rip apart the hood and rewire it from the leads. I did the same recently and just cut the old wires leaving plenty of wire length for the new fan. Be sure everything is unplugged before you start

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-29-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay...I didn't bothere with trying to see whether or not Marine Depot would cover the warranty because I didn't want to have to send the unit to them if they would because I didn't want to be without the lights for any time. But, I did follow your advice, Steve, and bought the fan you suggested at Radio Shack. I (well, the guy that happened to be doing some electrical work at the house) replaced the original fan with the one I bought and it's really running smoothly, and silently. THANKS for your help...It was really annoying me and now the problem's solved.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
steve-s

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Funny this should come up. Just last night I picked up the replacement fan that Steve-S suggested (in an earlier thread from a few months back) from Radio Shack and replaced the fan in my 36" CSL hood. The old fan was noisy as hell, new one is nice and quiet.

Thanks Steve-s!

Tags
strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com