Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2004, 06:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My first Anemone!!!

Hey guys. I'm very happy that I have my first BTA.This might be a stupid question but does the anemone close up when the lights turn off? I know that they need strong lights but what what about down time? TIA

Old 08-01-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
kalani bubble tips do not need strong lighting and they close up lots of different times so do not panic they close up to get rid of waste looks kind of nasty thought there was something wrong with mine the first time it did it they also defate for a while and then reinflate do not know why i feed mine a piece of silversides or krill about 2 or 3 times a week went to bed the night before last with the 2 roses looking just fine woke up with 3 roses in the tank rosie and her twin are now on the move to relocate that is another thing let them find their spot becareful of powerheads and if you need more help just holler and i will try to tell you what i know in the mean time this lady has helped me alot!!!
http://home.att.net/~karenssaltwater...ome.html-.html

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes they do cose up a lot. They do not have the extreme lighting requirements of other anenomes. I keep mine under 260 watts of CF and it does fine, but tat is not enough light to keep a seabe or LTA. Just let it find a place where it is happy with the flow and light. Do not try to move it, you could damage it's foot. Good Luck! Lando
Old 08-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
My BTA can fluctuate from quite small, to flat out huge. Over time you will see that it is the nature of anemones.

I also have found that the anemones seem to do better when they have a clown fish hosting in them. Not to mention that it is one of the greatest symbiotic relationships to have in a tank.

I feed all of my anemones by hand to make sure that they get enough food at least 2 times a week.

Enjoy and good luck
Old 08-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

what temperature is too high for an anemone
Old 08-03-2004, 04:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I almost had a panic attack. I went to my LFS today and asked if I should use trace elements for my anemone and they recommended Seachem Reef Complete. They said it will help with the calcium, magnesium, and strontium to keep my anemone healthy. I did a partial water change and added a cap full to my 15 gallon tank that I have the anemone in. About 5 minutes later my condy shriveled up and I thought " ****!! What they hell did they sell me". I left and came back about an hour later and it looked okay. Whew! Next question. I have a Eclipse System 12 aquarium that houses about 15# of LR and my BTA and condy along with 1 small maroon clownfish. Do I still need a skimmer? If so I wonder how I can get around the fact that the hood completeltg covers the tank. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2004, 04:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's a pic I thought I should share.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
if that pic is correct in color pleas feed that some thawed pieces of silverside or some thawed krill on my moniter it looks very white.
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, it looks a bit bleached in the photo. See if it wil take some krill or a silverside. Good luck...Lando
Old 08-03-2004, 02:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought it from a guy that lives up the road from me on Saturday. He told me that it was bleaching and told me to feed it some raw pieces of thawed shrimp every other day till the colors come back. Will that be okay? This might be another idiotic question but is a silverside the skin of fish or is it a fish? Sorry guys.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com