My first anemone, any pitfalls or things I need to know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hiya. Wasn't intending on ever getting an anenome but when I went to look for some fish and cuc I just fell in love with it.

I currently have no fish just lots of LR which my new baby has quickly attached itself to.

I may have bitten off more than i can chew this time so i was wondering what input I can get here.

My next addition will probably be a pair of black clownfish. After that a goby/blenny not sure. pretty much will be a coral tank.

Thanks in advance I know you guys will bring some good information. I'm off to read some articles and try to be up to speed.

How much lighting do you have? Is your tank at least a yr old? Needs to be a stable and mature tank to house an anenome.

I've got a 30" quad T5 96 watts total. And nope, tank has been up a month. So that's my first mistake.

I am really OCD when it comes to PWC's and testing samples. I hope that can be a plus in this situation.

I might add that I love a challenge and learning new stuff. I may act blonde sometimes but I've really got a decent head on my shoulders. lol

Every Anemone needs a stable aquarium,
Strong lighting and a aquarium that's been running for at least 6-12 months. That way it insures that the aquarium will not go thru it's swings like...ph up/down....ammonia,nitrates,diatoms swings ... That will happen with a tank that's only a month old.
BUT IMO Since you already have it. might as well just try and make it very happy by checking all your water perimeters..
With the light bulb I say if it's a 4 bulb t5ho then you good, I don't know about those two bulb ones..

This is my baby. :D

Yep I have the 4 bulb fixture so I should be good on light then? He kinda went on the side of my tank, I placed him in front at first but I don't think he liked it there.

What kind of nem is it? I only have experience keeping Bubble Tip Anemones long term. I have kept a bleached green bta in my old 29 gallon and also now a neon green tip bta in my 90 gallon.

Your nem looks bleached. I fed my bleached nem pieces of silversides and the color and size came back nicely.

My current nem is now 12 inches in diameter when extended. I've had it in my 90g for a year now. They aren't so bad to keep in my experience, they just need protected flow and a food source.. Not just light light and more light.

He was a light pink with purple tips in the store. He's now a little less pink but the tips are still purple. i also bought a package of frozen silversides. I was shown how to feed it, it was amazing. He said maybe 2 times a week. Mine is about 5 inches so far. He was a bit fuller at the store but I'm sure he's just acclimating.

Hmm I've heard of Colorado Sunburst Anemones and Flame Tip Anemones, but never pink ones. It looks nice and happy in your tank.

The guy at store said it was a condy. lol Probably not too specific i know. It's just a regular run of the mill anemone. I've seen them there before just not with the purple tips.

Yeah, he does look happy. Now if I can just keep him that way.

Just read a couple blurbs on the Condy. It looks and sounds real similar to a Bubble Tip Anemone. The color variations are nice. Keep us posted on how it does.

austinsdad said:
How does one pick nems up? Bare hands? Maybe one day for me.

I've picked mine up bare handed. They shrivel to nothing when they are touched. They feel like a blob of flesh, very funky...

Hmmm In my reading it says that clownfish dont live in this type of anemone. Is that correct? I was planning on a set of black ones.

carey said:
Hmmm In my reading it says that clownfish dont live in this type of anemone. Is that correct? I was planning on a set of black ones.

I read Clownfish can adapt to this nem. I've seen Clowns hosting in Torch Coral and powerheads. If there's no "perfect" nem, they'll find the next best thing.

I didn't think it was possible but this thing has gotten huge when its all spread out. I fed it half a silverfish last night which it took readily but now theres a small heap of leftover half digested fish next to it. Is this normal? Do I count on cuc to clean it up or do I need to get it out?

tested my water and its perfect. Actually too perfect. No nitrates anymore. The only thing thats not good is the phoshate its at 2.0.

The piece was most likely too big to digest. I used to cut my silversides into little quarter inch pieces, otherwise my nem would spit it back out. I would remove the silverside manually if you can get to it.

Do you have anything for phosphate removal? I run a GFO reactor. Too high of phosphates will contribute to unwanted algae growth. You will notice excessive buildup on your glass as well.

I'll try to fish out the remains, its not much but its right near his "root" or "bulb".

I was gonna add a phos remover media to both my larger tanks, was hoping that would do for now. Are reactors expensive? I havent seen any or maybe I just havent been looking lol

Back
Top Bottom