My first clam! Does it look happy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, just dropped this guy in about 45 min ago after a three hour drip. I got myself a cheapie starter clam to love on, do you think he look happy?

At the moment no, but that could change over the course of a few hours to a day or two. While the clam is stressed, do your best to keep the shrimps and crabs away, they can really pester the new clams.

He looks stressed, You really want the flesh OVERhanging the shell, he has a ways to go, but dont fret, you just put him in. My clams LOVE phytoplankton, and if you havent done already I would read up on them. What kind of lighting are you running

Here is a photo from today, I see more of the clam hanging over the shell, does this look better? I also dosed some Coralife invert food right after I took the pic. I am running 520 watts of PCs

It's looking better!!!! Not quite there yet, but getting much closer!!!

I also dosed some Coralife invert food right after I took the pic

From someone that lives in a clamming town, they like phyto. If the clam is over 2-2.5" they do not require feeding, but some supplamental phyto is appreciated. The coralife invert food specifically....algae bloom in a bottle, IMO.

Good to know about the Coralife. I have been putting 14ml a week for two weeks so luckily I haven't been using it very much, my fuge pretty much covers the filterfeeders needs, I was just tossing it in for a little boost once a week. Do you recommend a brand of phyto over another?

Thanks again!

Have you tried to grow Phyto, it is REALLY easy ONCE you get it started and once you do you will never pay for DT's again. Mine love FRESH phyto :)

i just got some DT today from the LFS. And by adding that will it make a bloom of algae? or rase any other levels in my tank?

You need to be careful, it could very well cause algae issues if dosed to much. How big is the clam? To feed a clam with DT's I recommend removing the clam to a bowl of water, add DT's to the bowl until the water is tinted green and let the clam sit in it for 1/2 hour or until the water is clear, then put the clam back. I like to do it in the Lee's clear plastic catch cups hanging inside the tank, it is seperate from the aquarium water, but you will not experience a temp change issue as the tank water will maintain the water in the catch cup.

Back
Top Bottom