Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My first Cyano out break! :o)

First off, hello again! I know I have been MIA, but the summer months are the season for the industry I am in. so its been a little bit of a crazy summer... Good news is, as kids head back to school, my job starts to slow down!

anyhow, I was on vacation in July and when i returned home after about 6 days, I had a small Cyano out break. I vacuumed all of it out, and continued doing my normal 3 - 4 gallon water change on my 30 gallon tank. Now, a month later, I have noticed that I'm having another out break, but this one seems to be a bit more rapid.

I have done some reading, and noticed that everyone has been saying that the lead cause of it, is sand being movement. Well, I do have a pistol shrimp that has ADHD, and seems to moved all of my sand weekly! along with the watchmen goby, I can count on them to re arrange everything around my Live Rock.

Anywho, I had read a while back that canister filters are a HUGE nitrate/nitrite factory. I do have an Eheim canister filter, as well as a Moray Protein Skimmer. I have started to only let it run about 8 hours a day, along with my lights. Hoping this would slow the outbreak down. However, it has not. I have not vacuumed it out yet. I feed pellets (every other day) to my 2 clown fish, goby, pistol shrimp, blood shrimp and coral beauty.

Aside from the above information, is this something I should just learn to live with since the shrimp stirs up my sand all of the time?? I know a few people talk about CUC's, and I have thought about getting one, However, I'm worried that if the snails die, and I can find them, it'll kill off the rest of my tank!

input?? Thanks guys and gals!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbass
First off, hello again! I know I have been MIA, but the summer months are the season for the industry I am in. so its been a little bit of a crazy summer... Good news is, as kids head back to school, my job starts to slow down!

anyhow, I was on vacation in July and when i returned home after about 6 days, I had a small Cyano out break. I vacuumed all of it out, and continued doing my normal 3 - 4 gallon water change on my 30 gallon tank. Now, a month later, I have noticed that I'm having another out break, but this one seems to be a bit more rapid.

I have done some reading, and noticed that everyone has been saying that the lead cause of it, is sand being movement. Well, I do have a pistol shrimp that has ADHD, and seems to moved all of my sand weekly! along with the watchmen goby, I can count on them to re arrange everything around my Live Rock.

Anywho, I had read a while back that canister filters are a HUGE nitrate/nitrite factory. I do have an Eheim canister filter, as well as a Moray Protein Skimmer. I have started to only let it run about 8 hours a day, along with my lights. Hoping this would slow the outbreak down. However, it has not. I have not vacuumed it out yet. I feed pellets (every other day) to my 2 clown fish, goby, pistol shrimp, blood shrimp and coral beauty.

Aside from the above information, is this something I should just learn to live with since the shrimp stirs up my sand all of the time?? I know a few people talk about CUC's, and I have thought about getting one, However, I'm worried that if the snails die, and I can find them, it'll kill off the rest of my tank!

input?? Thanks guys and gals!
Try upping flow via powerhead i have a pistol shrimp to always digging no cyano i doubt its him

Old 08-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I forgot to mention, I have a 250 GPH power head (on the left pointing in), along with a 350 GPH on the right side also pointing inward. They have been there since day one.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe you were overfeeding during your vaction? Are you using RoDi water? Cyano is a nutrient problem. Phosphates and nitrates.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

its possible that they were over fed while I was gone, however, ive been back for well over a month, and now I'm having a 2nd outbreak. I am using RODI water, I mix it myself with IO Reef Crystals. See, I was figuring it was a nitrate problem because of the use of my canister filter....
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of lights maybe you need new bulbs. I dont think that the canister filter is contributing to it that much. If you want it gone now go get some chemiclean and throw it in but you should prob figure whats causing it first. Or maybe your Ro system filters need changed.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The lights are about 3 months ago. I started the tank on May 1, with all new equipment.

The only things I can really attribute to it are the filter and possibly over feeding... which, that could be the problem, but with the two shrimp, they're pretty aggressive at feeding time, and done ever see them missing anything.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It's not from the shrimp, having your sand moved around is a good thing. Overfeeding will def do it, especcially in a new setup. You have to just up your water changes, keep cleaning it out and be persistent. And its better to underfeed than to overfeed. I personally only feed my fish 2-3 times a week.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

add a few of these buggers never need to worry bout not enough sand movement again
Saltwater Sand Sifting Crab (Emerita talpoidea) | Reefs2go.com
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed
add a few of these buggers never need to worry bout not enough sand movement again
Saltwater Sand Sifting Crab (Emerita talpoidea) | Reefs2go.com
I reccommend tongan nass snails for sand stirring they also will consume quickly anything that makes it down to the bottom

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com