My first DIY stand and tank build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonDoe13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a thread of all my notes from my first stand and tank build. This is manly a place to keep an organized track of my entire project from start to finish.

Welcome to AA :) be sure to post pics for us and if you have any questions we'd be more then happy to help. What do you plan on stocking in this tank and have you read up on how to cycle a tank.

The stand is made of 2x4's. It's a total of 21 boards. This is the website I used for the stand design and dimensions. http://freshwatercichlids.com/do-it-yourself-aquarium-stand My stand is 48 inches tall, 36 inches wide, and 19 inches deep. It took 5- 16 inch boards, 4- 37 inch boards, 4- 46 inch boards, and 8- 41 inch boards. The top and bottom are put together first. Then the legs are made and screwed to the screw strips. After that the legs are screwed to the bottom then the top is put on and screwed together. I used pressurized wood on this build. I have been told negatives about PW but since I had already purchased it I went with it anyway. The people at home depot cut the wood to the lengths I needed and were very helpful.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120807_235518.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120807_235518.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 162
  • ForumRunner_20120807_235801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120807_235801.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 146
  • ForumRunner_20120807_235815.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120807_235815.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 162
Ahh, the famous north American dog fish, one natures most extravagant creatures. Known to swim the span of a waterway in chase of a yellow tennis ball within minutes! Nice stock idea for the new tank ;)

Lol she always seems to know how to get her pic everywhere.

This is the stand after 5 coats of minwax ebony black stain and seal.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120808_153611.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120808_153611.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 155
Looking good and looking forward to following along.. good luck and welcome to AA your going need us after this addiction.

Now that is a heavy duty stand! Nicely done. How do you like the stain? I've stained and painted. I like painting better unless I'm going for a wood look. Either/or, a coat of poly will seal it up nicely.

Thanks everyone. Def like the black stain. Still have to sand and do two coats of poly. I really wanted to make sure I sealed it good since I used pressurized wood. Heard things from people that the chemicals from the wood leaked into their sump.

Also any insight is greatly appreciated. If any one is an expert in plumbing for sumps I could really use help with that. I have ideas on how I want it to look. Just don't really have any idea about occur pipes. Went to home depot and was completely lost.

Sorry my phone auto corrected my text. It's pvc pipes. Lol

Thanks 22engine. Im doing this 40 now. It's my first time building everything myself. After I get the 40 done im going to be setting up a 90 gallon.

Plumbing for a sump setup is pretty easy, but some more information is needed first. Will you be using a drilled tank or a HOB overflow? In terms of plumbing, I used 1 inch PVC as it is what matched my CPR HOB overflow (which I would recommend if you are going the HOB route). The piping coming from your return pump will vary depending on the pump.

Sniperhank said:
Plumbing for a sump setup is pretty easy, but some more information is needed first. Will you be using a drilled tank or a HOB overflow? In terms of plumbing, I used 1 inch PVC as it is what matched my CPR HOB overflow (which I would recommend if you are going the HOB route). The piping coming from your return pump will vary depending on the pump.

+1 plumbing really isn't to difficult pretty much just get from A to B with the shortest distance and least bends lol

Im actually drilling the tank myself. I am ordering my overflows from glass holes and with that comes the drill bit I will use to drill. The overflow is 1.5 inch pvc. But where im confused is getting the pvc to fit the return pump. As well as to fit a phosban reactor and uv sterilizer. Do they make pvc smaller then 1/2 inch. Which is the smallest I saw at home depot.

1/2" is the smallest. However, adapters and fittings can make anything fit.

Also consider running soft line wherever you can for easier removal of pumps and stuff

Yea there were so many adapters I was just lost. I might just take the pump with me and see if someone at home depot could help me find the right adapter. I was planning on using a series of ball valves and pvc quick disconnects to help with an maintenance I have to perform on my pumps. I like the pvc because I think it gives it more of a professional look then flex tubing.

Back
Top Bottom