My first fishie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got my first fish today, a yellow tail, I got him to help "break in the tank" and because I like him, if he gets to aggressive I will return him but I have ALLWAYS liked yellow tailed damsels, I also got 2 astri snails and some food, spend $15 :evil: oh well LOL, I guess I should get used to the higher prices :roll:

Has your cycle completed? I wouldn't suggest putting your fish through the "sewage cycle". Can you take the poor thing back? If you are worried about cost, use a raw cocktail shrimp, from your local grocery store (probably about $.99). Also, those $15 snails probably won't make it through the cycle, inverts tend to be very intolerant to changes in water chemistry. How long/how did you acclimate them?

oh yes the cycle is done..I would NEVER put a poor fish through that... im just really new to the hobby and wanted to start with a little "cheaper" fish, in case I mess up! its my first SW and the snails were only $1.99..I guess I need to varify huh? (sorry I was exited)...I accumulated for about 45 min, then slowly added water from the tank etc.

blazeyreef said:
oh yes the cycle is done..I would NEVER put a poor fish through that... im just really new to the hobby and wanted to start with a little "cheaper" fish, in case I mess up! its my first SW
COOL!!! Congrats on your first "fishey", LOL! My yellow tails seem to be the least agressive, in my tank. What are your future plans?

How long have you been cycling? Are you adding any bacteria colony additives? I personally think it's rather cruel to use living animals as a means to help the cycling process, especially given what they'll be exposed to (elevated amonia and nitrite levels particularly).

I also second roka64's comments on inverts. My tank has been going for almost three years now and after adding three turbo snails (four hour drip aclimation) they still died after about a week. I probably should have done it for a much greater period of time.

Anyways, I'm rambling here..

I *hopefully* plan to have 2 clowns (thats a must), MAYBE something like...a cardinal fish or something (wanted pseudo but everyone said that it wouldnt work in my tank?) and maybe a fire fish, and some goby's and shrimps...and some zoas!

Back
Top Bottom