My first frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowsdime

Aquarium Advice Freak
My lfs ha some pretty cool Zoanthid polyp frags they just got in the 15$ tank I was considering going to to pick one up, but I wanted to find out a little more about them before I took the plunge. I've heard they are a good hardy beginner coral. But what can anyone tell me from their experiences

If they look cool for 15 snag them up they are just about the easiest as far as care goes you do want to dip them though as they are notorious for hitchhikers

Zoas are cool set'em and forget'em lol Very easy to care for and great colors.

Ratrob57 said:
If they look cool for 15 snag them up they are just about the easiest as far as care goes you do want to dip them though as they are notorious for hitchhikers

Fresh water dip??

Ratrob57 said:

I just got a frag of them and I think I may have aiptasia as a hitchhiker!! What do u do to 'dip' them?

Id QT untill i delt with, the aip are nasty buggers they will sting your coral to death and lay claim to there spot when i dip my coral i use Coral RX mix with some water from your tank then rinse with a bit more of tank water i use the water from a PWC

Grizz said:
Id QT untill i delt with, the aip are nasty buggers they will sting your coral to death and lay claim to there spot when i dip my coral i use Coral RX mix with some water from your tank then rinse with a bit more of tank water i use the water from a PWC

I would but I don't have a QT tank! Is there any other way of getting rid of it other than injecting? They seem to be way too small to inject with a needle.

A dip won't kill the little buggers. A dip that would kill them would probably kill the zoas too. You can try to get a forceps on them, but a needle is the best way.

Chris-Nicol said:
I just got a frag of them and I think I may have aiptasia as a hitchhiker!! What do u do to 'dip' them?

You could use coralrx, Kent coral dip, I think some people still use formalin, or u can use flat worm exit it doesn't get all pest but kills flatworms and zoanthid eating nudibranchs

Just pick one up and follow directions

As for aptasia you could use aptasia-x, lemon juice,

Anyone able to tell me about the toxins they give off and how to protect myself? Are rubber gloves enough, some sites I've read said it can require a hospital trip?

yes latex gloves will work fine. if you handle them bare handed wash you hands dont touch your face or eyes thats where most go wrong the toxin.

Different people react differently. I have been diving and working on my tanks bare handed for almost 20 years and have never had a problem (other than fire coral on a night dive once). My wife is the same way. But some people are more sensitive and some corals are more potent than others. It's like poison ivy, some people get it by just walking by it.

Gotcha I prolly won't chance it, but I'm goin to set up my new t5 fixture tonight and maybe I'll get the coral tomorrow I hope the light fixture clear my remora protein skimmer, it's a six bulb fixture so it's pretty wide!

Back
Top Bottom