my first frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was at my lfs the other day and bought 2 frags for $7 per frag. One Is a small colony of polpys and the second one is what I think is a trumpet or a candy cane coral. It wasn't listed. And the guy working don't really know for sure. Heres is few pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111014_101721.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111014_101721.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20111014_101855.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111014_101855.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 94
I have a few questions about dosing iodine and Strontium and Molybdenum. I realize with the little amount of corals I have now its not really needed due to my weekly 20% pwc. But as I add more corals I will see my levels change quicker then I can do pwc. So I wanna be prepared for when I need to start dosing and what actually need and what is unesaccery. I plan on starting out with soft and LPS corals and then when I upgrade my lighting I will wanna get in to sps.

Does anybody have any good links or personal opinions they can give me on where to start out

I'd recommend Kent products and zoo's love iodine what salt do you use?

I'd recommend you upgrade your lighting before you get too many corals. If your upgrading from weak to very strong lights your corals might get stressed or bleach.
Edit:nice corals by the way and sooo cheap!

I'm using instaocean reef crystals. And as for my future lighting upgrade I will be adding led stunned strips to my 4 bulb t5ho fixture. But I will be adding them slowly and using dimmers as to not burn up Any corals and slowly get them used to the new light

Planning on sps? And reef crystals is what I use they have a good amount of trace elements

I would like to down the road. I'm still trying to figure out if I can by adding leds to my current fixture. I was planning on adding 2 36" stunned strips but don't know if that will be enough.

I have tons of SPS and use reef crystals myself. I have three automatic dosing pumps, one doses Kalkwasser at night only, one doses B-Ionic two part and the last one doses a tiny bit of Kent Essential Elements continuously. That is all I use as well as a 15% water change every other week. My chalice corals are growing fast enough you can almost see it.

Gregcoyote said:
I have tons of SPS and use reef crystals myself. I have three automatic dosing pumps, one doses Kalkwasser at night only, one doses B-Ionic two part and the last one doses a tiny bit of Kent Essential Elements continuously. That is all I use as well as a 15% water change every other week. My chalice corals are growing fast enough you can almost see it.

Sounds like a awesome tank

What's the reservoir on each of the 3 dosing pumps? Wondering what kind of volume I might need someday for corals.

My reef is 300 gallons total, so I have bought (on eBay of course) some 2 liter glass chemical bottles. This makes it easy to see the levels rather than plumb a opaque plastic bottle and it looks cool. Medical grade dosing pumps (eBay again) deliver the micro doses continuously. The Kalkwasser is added in a home made Kalkwasser stirrer using a timed air pump delivery system. The chemical reservoirs last about 2 weeks on the dosing pumps and about a week on the Kalkwasser stirrer. I don't think Kalkwasser stores very well, so I turn that over pretty quickly.

thanks for the info i was planning on using kalk along with my ato. witch is recommend by BRS. but when it comes down to dosing anything else i wanna be shore i know what will benefit my corals.

does anybody know a good led lighting upgrade so can house sps with my 4 bulb 156w t5ho fixture . i really like the stunner strip Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip - 8,000K White - 18W - 36 in. | LED Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
what do u guys think about these and how many do u think i will need

paulweck said:
thanks for the info i was planning on using kalk along with my ato. witch is recommend by BRS. but when it comes down to dosing anything else i wanna be shore i know what will benefit my corals.

does anybody know a good led lighting upgrade so can house sps with my 4 bulb 156w t5ho fixture . i really like the stunner strip Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip - 8,000K White - 18W - 36 in. | LED Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
what do u guys think about these and how many do u think i will need

I look at the total wattage. A conservative number is 2:1 which would mean you would want to get a LED fixture made up of at least 1 watt LEDs that total 70-80 watts. That is a comparison to a 156 watt HO fixture. Many folks believe using higher powered LEDs it is closer to 3:1.

I like 10,000k whites making up 2/3 of them and the rest actinic blue for SPS corals. But these are just basic parameters.

Back
Top Bottom