Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #11
steve-s

The problem with the "C" type overflows is they may not restart the siphon in the event of a powerfailure. The "U" style should maintain the siphon and restart on it's own when power is restored.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I have a 105G dumping into a 30G sump/fuge and another 30G tank tied into those two. They all use CPR overflows with aqualifters and I haven't had a flood yet.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm.... I haven't experienced this with mine (which from what I've read is a C type v. U type. Once I sucked the air out of the airline hose I just stuck it into the overflow box where the siphon is maintained. I haven't lost siphon on it yet (LOL, famous last words). A guy in my reef club was selling a float switch which I've procured and am using on the "sump" for my 30 so that should something go wrong I won't end up with a spill. I strongly believe in safe seconds. I have one on the fuge under my main as well!

Aqualifter? What's that?!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:58 PM   #14
steve-s

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...dproduct=KTALP

They are used to suck air out of the overflow tube and help restart the siphon in the event of a powerfailure.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-05-2005, 10:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
They are used to suck air out of the overflow tube and help restart the siphon in the event of a powerfailure.
If the aqualifter is in place in event of a power failure, is a "c" type PLUS aqualifter still inferior to a "u" type? I ask because the c-type is available at my LFS, I believe.

Thanks again -- this thread has been very educational to me.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
steve-s

Your choice. As you can see people use them without issue. Personally I think anything that needs "help" like the C type overflow is asking for something to go wrong. The more complicated something is, the more likely something will break down.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
The more complicated something is, the more likely something will break down.
Ultimately this is true. If you use the aqualifter you won't have problems with your overflow. You *WILL* have problems with your aqualifter though and will have to change it out a few times a year. I use CPR mainly cause its the only thing I have ever used. Not saying I wouldn't recommend it, but they will bite if you don't keep up with them.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, gph, overflow, pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com