Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I like feeding the anemones. Small pieces will not hurt them. That's why they have a big mouth.....to eat with.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I like feeding the anemones. Small pieces will not hurt them. That's why they have a big mouth.....to eat with.
Is there added benefit in target feeding them a few times a month?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think they respond to feeding. I don't know because I don't have 2 specimens and feed one but not the other, but When they come from the shipper they are usually pretty bleached and/or beat up, and I find the food speeds recovery.
They are built for eating though....they don't have sticky tentacles and big mouths just to look cool.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
They are built for eating though....they don't have sticky tentacles and big mouths just to look cool.
What I've been told by one LFS owner is that anemones are in a sense part of a clean up crew. They use their tentacles to sting/catch sick or dead fish and eat them up. Kind of makes sense but he could be wrong.
There are also videos on YouTube of clowns, especially clarkii and maroons feeding their anemones big chunks of frozen food in aquariums. So it seems like anemones do eat quite a bit in the wild.
Mine does ok without target feeding so I don't bother.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This is always a great topic IMO. Yes anemone have a mouth and can eat. Do they have to eat to survive if we have proper lighting to support them? No. Through the relationship with clownfish, they will get fed, as they will through the water column. We get the misconception that feeding them is bad from those who try to feed it a shrimp the size of an apple or so much it stresses the anemone as well as causes issues in the entire tank. The same can go for feeding sps coral, if you think about it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a green bubble anemone. I tried target feeding it a small piece of silverside a few times. It pooped a lot. On a few occasions the waste would stick out of the anemones mouth for more than 8 hours. I had to use a turkey baster to suck the poop out of the anemone's mouth because it wasn't going away on its own. The anemone looked stressed. The clowns that were hosting in it were also stressed a little because they couldn't go inside the nem.
So after that experience I gave up target feeding anemones. obviously there are thousands of people that target feed their anemones without any issues. The way I look at it if there is no need for me to stick my hand in the fish tank and spend money on food I won't do it.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have read in many places the pros and cons of feeding a nem. Most of what I have gathered is if it doesnt have a clown host it should be spot feed but only tiny pieces less than 1/4 inch in size. Not daily but a few times a month.
I have also read a few posts here recommending feeding a nem that appears unhealthy to try and help it.
My take is that the nem needs proper lighting along with protiens to stay healthy.
As I stated in my OP this is my first one so I am paying attention to all thats said along with doing research.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for all the responses keep um comming. I am learning and others will too
Old 12-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes and each person must know his or her animal. My friends anemone doesn't like to be fed. It just spits out the food my friend tries to feed it. So you can try and if it loves it then it's probably ok to feed it. My anemone has done quiet well without target feeding. Yes I spent money buying food and stainless steel tongs for it but all has been a waste of money. Lol
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nem still seems happy. Hasnt moved around any and she opens up so pretty and full during the day. I love the glowing pink effects in the evenings with thr blues on.
I have only spot feed once but I noticed that it cought a piece of free floating food when I feed my clowns. I think this one is going to like being feed but I wont feed too much or too often.

Tags
bubble, bubble tip

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com