My First Nem, A Rose Bubble Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got her last night. She seems to be very healthy and I think she likes my tank because she started comming out just minutes after acclimation and placement. She stayed where I put her over night only shifted a little. I guess I will see more about if she likes her perch today after the lights come on.
Both of my clowns were interested so that might be a good sign.
Any advice or info to help me keep this beautiful girl happy in my tank is much appriciated.

That's great. Hope it goes well. Mysis or cut up krill or silversides every once in a while would make it happy for sure.

I gave it some stuff I get around here called Larrys Reef Frenzy it took it seemed to eat good so I am very hopeful.

yhehu5yj.jpg

I would avoid feeding the anemone. They get all they need from light. Feeding can cause stress.

I would avoid feeding the anemone. They get all they need from light. Feeding can cause stress.

Never heard this before. An anemone's diet consists of various types of meaty foods. Although not required because they also carry out photosynthesis, feeding doesn't have negative effects. They capture fish and shrimp in the wild, so I don't see how it can cause stress.

They have a hard time digesting large meaty foods. they almost always end up pooping most of it out undigested. This sometimes causes them to split as well.

What type of lighting do you have, nems do not need fed with the proper lighting, as far as stressing them out, it is all a matter of what the size ratios nem to food is. I do think chucks do stress them out as the bigger the piece the more energy they spend to try and digest it. A healthy nem will catch all the food it needs in the water column.

I have 300 watt LEDs. And the pieces of food I gave it is shreaded small bits. Not large chunks it ait it in just a few seconds it seems.
She still seems to be happy not moving around and opening up beautifuly

I would avoid feeding the anemone. They get all they need from light.

I agree with this statement. Had mine rose bubble for months and don't target feed it with shrimp, silversides or anything else. I just drop PE cyclopeeze for all my inverts twice a week because I feed my fish dry food and the inverts don't get to eat it.

I like feeding the anemones. Small pieces will not hurt them. That's why they have a big mouth.....to eat with.

I think they respond to feeding. I don't know because I don't have 2 specimens and feed one but not the other, but When they come from the shipper they are usually pretty bleached and/or beat up, and I find the food speeds recovery.
They are built for eating though....they don't have sticky tentacles and big mouths just to look cool. ;)

They are built for eating though....they don't have sticky tentacles and big mouths just to look cool. ;)

What I've been told by one LFS owner is that anemones are in a sense part of a clean up crew. They use their tentacles to sting/catch sick or dead fish and eat them up. Kind of makes sense but he could be wrong.
There are also videos on YouTube of clowns, especially clarkii and maroons feeding their anemones big chunks of frozen food in aquariums. So it seems like anemones do eat quite a bit in the wild.
Mine does ok without target feeding so I don't bother.

This is always a great topic IMO. Yes anemone have a mouth and can eat. Do they have to eat to survive if we have proper lighting to support them? No. Through the relationship with clownfish, they will get fed, as they will through the water column. We get the misconception that feeding them is bad from those who try to feed it a shrimp the size of an apple or so much it stresses the anemone as well as causes issues in the entire tank. The same can go for feeding sps coral, if you think about it.

I had a green bubble anemone. I tried target feeding it a small piece of silverside a few times. It pooped a lot. On a few occasions the waste would stick out of the anemones mouth for more than 8 hours. I had to use a turkey baster to suck the poop out of the anemone's mouth because it wasn't going away on its own. The anemone looked stressed. The clowns that were hosting in it were also stressed a little because they couldn't go inside the nem.
So after that experience I gave up target feeding anemones. obviously there are thousands of people that target feed their anemones without any issues. The way I look at it if there is no need for me to stick my hand in the fish tank and spend money on food I won't do it.

I have read in many places the pros and cons of feeding a nem. Most of what I have gathered is if it doesnt have a clown host it should be spot feed but only tiny pieces less than 1/4 inch in size. Not daily but a few times a month.
I have also read a few posts here recommending feeding a nem that appears unhealthy to try and help it.
My take is that the nem needs proper lighting along with protiens to stay healthy.
As I stated in my OP this is my first one so I am paying attention to all thats said along with doing research.

Yes and each person must know his or her animal. My friends anemone doesn't like to be fed. It just spits out the food my friend tries to feed it. So you can try and if it loves it then it's probably ok to feed it. My anemone has done quiet well without target feeding. Yes I spent money buying food and stainless steel tongs for it but all has been a waste of money. Lol

Nem still seems happy. Hasnt moved around any and she opens up so pretty and full during the day. I love the glowing pink effects in the evenings with thr blues on.
I have only spot feed once but I noticed that it cought a piece of free floating food when I feed my clowns. I think this one is going to like being feed but I wont feed too much or too often.

Back
Top Bottom