Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eric,

Looks good. If it is unhappy, it will shrink up (might do it at night, so don't panic) and it it's really unhappy it will recede back enough to expose the skeleton. When my lights go off, if it is resting and not feeding there will be a little shrinking. Also, those little bumps will disappear. I have 4 Lobos, one of which started going south on me. What I described above is what I saw. I moved towards the back in a more shaded area and after about 2 months it has started to come back. I have noticed on my 3 that are doing well that I have seen significant growth. Just make sure you are religious with your pwc's and stay on top of your chemistry. But that is the strategy for most coral.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. How fast do they grow and what does the growth look like? It looks like mine split before I bought it but does the skeleton grow out or up?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm
Eric,

Looks good. If it is unhappy, it will shrink up (might do it at night, so don't panic) and it it's really unhappy it will recede back enough to expose the skeleton. When my lights go off, if it is resting and not feeding there will be a little shrinking. Also, those little bumps will disappear. I have 4 Lobos, one of which started going south on me. What I described above is what I saw. I moved towards the back in a more shaded area and after about 2 months it has started to come back. I have noticed on my 3 that are doing well that I have seen significant growth. Just make sure you are religious with your pwc's and stay on top of your chemistry. But that is the strategy for most coral.
Thanks for the info. How fast do they grow and what does the growth look like? It looks like mine split before I bought it but does the skeleton grow out or up?[/QUOTE]

Mine, so far, has just gotten bigger in overall size. Growth was noticeable within a couple of months. I have attached pics of the three that are doing well the third one I just got a few weeks ago and was a double lobo (like yours) and haven't seen anything yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3479762440.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	133417   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1619664863.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	133418  

Name:	image-3657525005.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	133419  

Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am thinking about a third fish. I currently have an occilaris clown who is ~1" long and a coral beauty that is a little under 3 inches. I am going to start a 75 gallon build this summer to move them into but would like to add another fish for now. I really like the midas blenny and my LFS has a few, what does everyone think about their compatibility in a 29 gallon?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sweet pictures love your tank
Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, I have made a few improvements since then and all my corals seem happier. I added some base rock and made a few adjustments.

Name:	image-1965698615.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	137662
This is the tank now.

Name:	image-3285587766.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	137663
And from the side.

I added my coral beauty about a month ago and my conch a few weeks ago. The coral beauty is a gorgeous fish and keeps algae out of my tank and I think a conch should be a part of everyone's CUC. He does a great job on the sand and is fun to watch, he has more personality than any other snail.

Name:	image-3191437913.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	137666

Name:	image-1657777927.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	137667

My lobo loves its new location and looks much healthier than before.

Name:	image-2189755786.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	137668

And here are current pics of my new coral open. They were still acclimating to my tank in the previous shots.

Name:	image-3675432859.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	137669

Name:	image-2211650185.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	137670
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like your tank. Have you considered a blue background for it? Might make it "pop" even more. I had my tank without backing for a good 6 months once. The minute I put on a blue background, everything seemed so much brighter.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Black is also a great choice for a background
Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm View Post
Thanks, I have made a few improvements since then and all my corals seem happier. I added some base rock and made a few adjustments.

This is the tank now.

And from the side.

I added my coral beauty about a month ago and my conch a few weeks ago. The coral beauty is a gorgeous fish and keeps algae out of my tank and I think a conch should be a part of everyone's CUC. He does a great job on the sand and is fun to watch, he has more personality than any other snail.

My lobo loves its new location and looks much healthier than before.

And here are current pics of my new coral open. They were still acclimating to my tank in the previous shots.
Another conch advocate!! Yea!! Lol. Love conchs!! I think everyone should have one too!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates their conch. My favorite is when he buries himself in the sand and sticks his eye up, I wish I could get a good picture of it.

As for the background I agree I need one. I am planning on upgrading tanks this summer so I may just hold out and paint the back of my new one, this is gonna be converted to be my sump.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post

Another conch advocate!! Yea!! Lol. Love conchs!! I think everyone should have one too!
Agreed. I have 4 of them. They are so full of personality. Hard to believe they are "just a crustacean".

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com