My first reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I am in my first power outage since starting my tank. I was not prepared for this. I got home from work and this is not what I wanted to come home to. I don't have any overflow or anything but don't want to loose anything. My room should stay above 70 from the gas fire place so maybe 5 degrees below normal. I'm more concerned about now flow. I stirred for a while but now it's time for bed. The power company said it should be on in 5 hours. Will my tank be ok? I'll post in the morning I guess.

I wouldnt get your hopes up too high, id invest in a nautulis power pack from canadian tire or hd. I can run my whole tank off thag for two days! Including lights. I wouldnt be worried about flow... Id be worried about oxygen exchange. 12 hrs with no exhange will result in some stress and possibly a loss

Just came on. All three fish are out and swimming. All three shrimp are out as well and My coral looks alright. The only death I see so far is my amphipods in my fuge and a pineapple sponge that is falling apart. I am hoping they all pull out of this with minimal stress.

Good stuff. Try to remove some of the dead decaying matter as well. To prevent nutrient build up and a possible spike

I will definitely go a 20% water Chang this weekend. Any other advice? My coral beauty seems a bit stressed, he is sticking pretty close to my rocks. My corals are opening up nicely and my CUC is going crazy.

Do a water change asap, and try to increase oxygen and gas exchange at the surface, point a powerhead towars rhe surdace is the beauty breathing normal?

Yeah they are all breathing normal. And he started to swim out in the open again just like normal. The tank looks just like it did yesterday. I stirred the water at 1 last night and at 6:30 this morning. My temperature only dropped from 77 to 72 and is on its way back up gradually. I won't be able to get a water change don't today, I'm gonna try for tomorrow. I have some good surface agitation so I hope that helps. I opened up my cover more than usual to try and help. How long does it take for oxygen to come back up? I do have chaeto in my fuge so that should help I think.

Just subscribed to this thread I am a newbie and will take examples from you lol nice tank btw. Sorry for your lights out!!

Should take about double if not a bit less the time the power was out, just be carefull that nothing has formed.. Aka diseases or nuisance algae.. Stagnant water is a blooming ground for bacteria. As long as things are looking like they are returning to normal i say when your temp is fine, run all your tests to check your levels as well! Good luck:)

Thanks. I'm definitely making a trip to my LFS for my free full testing on my water.

I haven't tested yet but I'm a little confused. I just got home and all of my coral is fully extended. The tank looks really good. Everything seems happy.

image-2364028545.jpg

Well my water tested good, I may have made it through this one. Not gonna count my chickens till tomorrow. The only thing that was somewhat high was nitrates but they were still acceptable. My water change tomorrow will make me feel better.

On a side note my LFS had their biggest shipment of coral ever. It made it nearly impossible to not blow all of the money I am saving for my 90 gallon reef build this summer. I managed to make it out somehow.

Thats good ! Glad to hear:) im gonna be wishing i had the space for a big tank thats bigger then 90 gallons ! Did u at least get some coral?:)

No I didn't get anything. They had some awesome acans though, I am putting my whole fish budget into savings so I can upgrade this summer. I am thinking 90 gallons should do me for now, then I can add some fish like a tomini tang and a fox face. I want to run LEDs on it so its not gonna be cheap and if I don't do it this summer I won't have time till next summer.

Ahh i see! Well i hope all goes well! Just think each week if you buy a coral, say 25 bucks or more. From now till summer youll have quite a pocket full;) a 125 would be good as well if ur goin 90.. Ur gunna wish you had the extra 35 gallons somewhere unless your sump makes up for it, 125 opens up doors to alot of livestock

Yeah I was gonna go with a 75 gallon since that is a big threshold for livestock, then I decided I might as well go 90 since the lights I am going to buy are the same price for a 75 or a 90 ($475) from rapid led. If I jump to a 120 gallon the lights go up $300. Who ever said money can't buy happiness obviously didn't have a reef tank.

Yeah I was gonna go with a 75 gallon since that is a big threshold for livestock, then I decided I might as well go 90 since the lights I am going to buy are the same price for a 75 or a 90 ($475) from rapid led. If I jump to a 120 gallon the lights go up $300. Who ever said money can't buy happiness obviously didn't have a reef tank.

Such a true statement.

So I am just curious, is there any possible way that my power outage could have been good for my tank? I have seen no negative effects however my algae on my glass has been slow to show up and my water looks way clear. My coral have great color and extension. I have no way to explain it.

Back
Top Bottom