Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Ericwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 826
So I'm thinking about my 4th fish. I don't want to over stock but some more movement would be nice. My current inhabitants are

1 midas blenny
1 occ clown
1 coral beauty
2 skunk cleaners
1 fire shrimp
Plus hermits a couple snails and my coral of course.

Any ideas for an active fish that will be compatible with these 3 fish and suited for a 29 gallon?
__________________

__________________
Ericwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
navaljonf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm View Post
So I'm thinking about my 4th fish. I don't want to over stock but some more movement would be nice. My current inhabitants are

1 midas blenny
1 occ clown
1 coral beauty
2 skunk cleaners
1 fire shrimp
Plus hermits a couple snails and my coral of course.

Any ideas for an active fish that will be compatible with these 3 fish and suited for a 29 gallon?
My opinion is that you are maxed out for a 29 gal....mainly due to the Coral Beauty. I have a 29 gal with Maroon clown (3-4"), watchman goby (3-4") and yellow tail damsel (1.5") and have found this to be the most I can do. My maroon clown is pretty aggressive though, so that is part of the problem with having a 4th fish in my tank. However, I think a sixline wrasse is a great, colorful fish and is a lot of fun to watch swim in and out of the rocks.
__________________

__________________
navaljonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Ericwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 826
Yeah I am planning an upgrade this summer and then I'll have plenty of room for more fish. The only reason I think one more might be ok is that my fish are still not full grown, my clown is under an inch and a half. By the time they grow to full size they will be in a larger tank that can handle a bigger bio load. I had a six line as my first fish, I think I lost him in my learning process. Cool fish but I feel he and the coral beauty might not get along since they have similar behavior in the same area of the tank.

Any other ideas? I am not against the recommendation of no more. I don't want to lose any of the fish I have currently. They are great.
__________________
Ericwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Ericwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 826
I have been looking into comparability of a royal gramma basslet and think it might be good. Has anyone had any issues with these and any fish I have currently? They look cool and would be along the lines of what I'm looking for. Also they are inexpensive and my LFS always has them, I'm thinking about adding one in 2 weeks unless anyone thinks it won't play nicely, or if my parameters aren't good due to stocking.
__________________
Ericwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Whiplash187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm View Post
I have been looking into comparability of a royal gramma basslet and think it might be good. Has anyone had any issues with these and any fish I have currently? They look cool and would be along the lines of what I'm looking for. Also they are inexpensive and my LFS always has them, I'm thinking about adding one in 2 weeks unless anyone thinks it won't play nicely, or if my parameters aren't good due to stocking.
I have a royal gramma and an eibli angelfish. When i start putting my gramma he got harass a lot but can protect himself by opening its mouth really wide i guess almost the same size as my angel is good and after a couple of weeks he barely gets harass then my eibli turns evil when he mature and starts nipping my corals so i return him. Rather sacrifice one fish than ruin my whole tank. Just waiting for my bartletts anthias to swap for my angelfish hope they'll be compatible if not im going to special order a school of agile chromis just hard to get it here
__________________
Whiplash187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
daney90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm View Post
I have been looking into comparability of a royal gramma basslet and think it might be good. Has anyone had any issues with these and any fish I have currently? They look cool and would be along the lines of what I'm looking for. Also they are inexpensive and my LFS always has them, I'm thinking about adding one in 2 weeks unless anyone thinks it won't play nicely, or if my parameters aren't good due to stocking.
You can add 1 more fish i guess but that's a lil stretch to your bioload considering you have only a 29gal. I know it sucks to have a small tank but oh well.. lol!!! Royal gramma is a nice one to have I personally think theyre cool. Have you also consider a dottyback or maybe a firefish of some Type theyre small too.
__________________
daney90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Whiplash187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90 View Post

You can add 1 more fish i guess but that's a lil stretch to your bioload considering you have only a 29gal. I know it sucks to have a small tank but oh well.. lol!!! Royal gramma is a nice one to have I personally think theyre cool. Have you also consider a dottyback or maybe a firefish of some Type theyre small too.
Shes right but hope you get your new tank before they grow big. Yeah firefish is fun to watch too and aren't u suppose to be sleeping already daney ahaha cant get enough here
__________________
Whiplash187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
Royal grammas are so pretty. Just so you know, though, mine comes out in the morning and then just periodically during the day. He stays in the rocks a lot, not a really active swimmer. Of course, each individual fish is different, though. I have chalk bass in my 30g, he's out all the time, and the angel doesn't pick on him.
I think that as long as you're really good about doing PWC and keeping water params in check, you could do 4-5 fish, but the rest would need to be small fish. Nothing as big as the angel. Firefish are great. Clown gobies are cute too.
__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
I too like royal gammas buy I went with the bi color basslets . They are the same color just don't have the large dorsal fin like the royals. I bought two one slightly larger and add them at the same time.. they are paired up now.. I find them not to be as aggressive as the royal gammas but I could be the exception.
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Ericwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
I too like royal gammas buy I went with the bi color basslets . They are the same color just don't have the large dorsal fin like the royals. I bought two one slightly larger and add them at the same time.. they are paired up now.. I find them not to be as aggressive as the royal gammas but I could be the exception.
I believe the royal gramma is a basslet, I could be wrong.
I looked at the dotty back that looks similar but I decided against them because liveaquaria says they eat ornamental shrimp and I love my shrimp.
__________________

__________________
Ericwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.