Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2004, 10:47 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Hi Wiliam,
I'm planning my tank too right now (don't even have it yet or know what size! You're way ahead of me there!) Here are my thoughts:

You may want to skip the "attack packs" for now. The ones I've seen are expensive. Wait to see what you get on the LR. Liverocks.com may be cheaper for you, shipping-wise, since you live in FL. I read that lots of crabs and maybe some snails are already on the rock, plus other cool hitchhikers.

Quote:
And when I eventually get everything set up, would it be wise to buy something like a 55gal rubbermaid garbage can, and mix up my water in there to the right salinty, have a powerhead to keep the water moving so it dosn't go stagnant, So I can just scoop water out of there when I need to top the tank?
For topping off the tank, you should just use RO water, without any salt mix. The amount of salt doesn't leave your tank -- just the water evaporates.

Otherwise, yes, that's a good idea -- using the garbage can to prepare the saltwater mix for water changes. I've read that most people do this also. You may need to add a heater to the garbage can in the winter. You may want to add a thermometer too so you know when the water matches the tank's water temperature. The powerhead is definitely a good idea. You don't want the water to get stagnant. Some powerheads can also pump the water out of the garbage can and up to your tank. You'll need some tubing, and check the powerhead to be sure it's strong enough to pump the water up the number of feet that you need to get it in your tank. I think this is called "head space" or "head height". If you need to pump your water up 4 feet to get to your tank, make sure the powerhead's head space is 4 feet.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The garbage can of water would be outside, so I'd just be bucketing it in or something :-\ And yeah, I planned on the heater to, if nothing else the garbage can could be a makesift QT tank to! :P LOL

another question, my tap water is 7.2 PH, Will the live rock/sand/ect ect bring that up to the 8.0, 8.2 range that, from what I understand, is needed for SW tanks.. or will I have to do something else like throw some crushed coral/clam shells/ect ect in the tank to boost the PH?

Old 01-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to smooth_rivers
can't answer the rest of your questions, but you should top off with fresh water, not salt.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
Quote:
Stocking Idea.
I'm a total n00b to SW fish, so I've just been doing what research I can.. and wanted to run this stocking passed everyone.

Radiata Lionfish

2-4 PomPom/Boxer/Anemone Crabs
Ghost Eel
I think those crabs would make a great meal for you fish.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:42 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Your salt mix will bring your pH up to the desired level (about 8.2) if you use RO water. pH may also change as it mixes in your container. That's why you let the water mix up for about 24 hours before you use it as your changing water, so the pH and also the salinity are stable. I have no choice but to use RO water for my salt tank; my tap water is so bad that I use some RO water now for my FW tanks. If you're using tap water, it should be free of phosphates (phosphates can feed algae). Test the phosphate level of your tap water, and try mixing up some salt mix and see what the pH ends up. I think CC will also boost pH, but be careful, don't just throw some in there without testing your pH fist. Also, steve-s said that CC can be a detrius trap, and sand is an easier substrate to work with. (I may have a very small amount of CC because it seems that the fish I want likes to play in it!)

Anyway, I would try mixing some salt mix with your tap water and then check your pH, and see how stable it is too.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, as for lighting... I think I finally figured stuff out.

2 175watt Metal Halide bulbs, 2 33watt PC 20k daylights, 2 33watt antinics.

This sound right?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

You are very obsessed. Maybe you could look into making a water bed of fish. Hehe
Old 01-09-2004, 08:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its my first SW tank and I just want to do it right

altho, seeing as this will be my 5th tank, and my 6th tank [ 75gal ] coming soon, and am currently talking to a guy about selling me is 125gal, I guess you could say I am suffering from an extreme case of MTS.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.hellolights.com/2lamvhoretki1.html

I was thinking about this, and adding a single MH 250watt bulb/ballast at a later time.

Would this be okay? and which bulbs should I get? also should I get a 3 or 4 bulb varriant or is the 2 bulb okay?
Old 01-10-2004, 11:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

bump

Tags
first sw, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com