Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so why's this a problem?

Yeah I looked up the T5 and I guess that's what I got (or something extremely similar). I'm friends with my reef store owner and I trust his judgement (he has AMAZING tanks). I also would like to emphasize that all of the fish seem to be doing very well and my nitrate levels are extremely low. And all of the fish are playing nice. I've seen many tanks that are far more crowded then mine. If water quality and territorial fish issues are not the problem with how many fish I have then what is? If you guys are thinking that it's going to be water quality do you think I can get away with just doing more frequent water changes?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldnt say your "grossly" overstocked. Depending on your sump size. The chromis are a schooling fish so territory shouldnt be an issue, and they are not a bully fish to other species. The yellow tang would probably prefer a bigger enclosure though. The gramma and wrasse can be territorial but wont do too much to the school. And in my opinion the "reef cleaner packages" you see online are a little overkill. In the end I would say dont go any further, which is hard to do, so much too buy yet so little space.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought they were power compacts...
Are the bulbs straight or curved? Do you have 4 2 foot bulbs, or 4 4 foot bulbs?
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #14

define no further

Would you say "go no further" you're just talking about fish right? I certainly want more coral And although 50 and 50 might be excessive I still think I need more crabs and snails. BTW the wrasse is still just a little guy maybe an inch and a half. I guess I'm just confused because my reefer friends seem to have much more crowded tanks then I do. I kind of still want clowns too, but perhaps it might be a bad plan. I was kind of expecting to hear not to go "much further" and maybe all the coral I want might be a little ambitious. My fish seem so happy.

Also am not sure of the capacity of my sump system but I had to add about 15 gallons of water, a gallon of mud, 10 lbs of sand and about 10 lbs of live rock.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #15

lighting

I thought they were power compacts. I don't know much about lighting, I just asked my buddy to hook me up with a light that would allow me to grow whatever I want. And it's four four foot bulbs.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like HO T5 to me. That's much better. I'm still not quite sure it's enough for clams or anemones, but you can keep some of the easier sps corals.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was talking about the fish. I dont know carrying capacities for sessile inverts or corals. But you have more in your 55 than I have in my 120 and Im trying to sale some to get another fish.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #18

So what should I be watching for? Should I just keep an eye on my nitrate levels? Should it become a problem I can always take some back to the store for credit. What other problems might I be causing do to my grossly or slightly crowded tank?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

keep an eye on nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phosphate, and sg/salinity
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasmarine View Post
I wouldnt say your "grossly" overstocked. Depending on your sump size. The chromis are a schooling fish so territory shouldnt be an issue, and they are not a bully fish to other species. The yellow tang would probably prefer a bigger enclosure though. The gramma and wrasse can be territorial but wont do too much to the school. And in my opinion the "reef cleaner packages" you see online are a little overkill. In the end I would say dont go any further, which is hard to do, so much too buy yet so little space.
I'm afraid that I disagree. It's about swimming space, not total water volume so I don't care if there is a 200G sump. 7 Chromis in a 55G with 90# of rock have to be cramped. Not to mention the inverts....

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com