Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My first thread, am I over stocking?

So I currently have a 55 gallon tank with about 90 lbs of rock in it, an overflow/sump setup a protein skimmer, with sand, mud, another 10 or so lbs of rock and a kalerpa. I've also got some impressive fluorescent lighting (the guy at the fish store said I can grow anything I want).

As far as fish go I have a nice sized yellow tang, a royal gramma, a green coris wrasse and 7 blue green chromis. Other then the tang chasing my royal gramma every once in a while everybody seems to get along really well. For Motile invertebrates I have two peppermint shrimp, two cleaner shrimp (my tang loves my cleaner shrimp), 5 hermit crabs, 4 emerald crabs and 5 turbo snails. On the sessile invertebrate side of the house I don't have that much just a couple types of star polyps, three purple mushrooms and my latest addition a really nice green zoo colony.

I was hoping to add a LOT more coral and at the max 4 more fish and hopefully a tridacna.

Here's what I had in mind. I wanted to add some acropora's up top, perhaps an open brain, maybe a montipora, a leather or two, maybe a spaghetti, a bubble and I without fail want an anemone with a couple of little clowns hosting (I know that I should be cautious about multiple clowns.)

Other then the clowns I've thought about a couple of gobies (I really want a psychedelic) and that'll do it for fish.

I also have 50 more little snails and 50 hermit crabs on order for my tank.

I guess my question is, am I being too ambitious? Do I already have too many fish in my little 55? Should I have thought of this before hand and just gotten a 100 gallon tank? Thus far my water quality has been really good and all of my life stock have been playing nice but I don't want to over do it.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Sorry, but in my opinion you are grossly overstocked. Define "flourescent" lighting? Do you have a sump? Skimmer? I'm afraid you may have been getting some terrible advice.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't get the goby, which is not a goby. It's a dragonet (mandarin). They can be a pain to train to substitute foods. Their main diet is copepods, and they eat them constantly. You hve to many snails and hermits on order IMO. I think you may be a tad overstocked.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I'd have to agree with HN1, that's pretty stuffed. Everyone has different opinions on tank size, but that tang alone needs a larger tank.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #5

rats

they are 48 inch compact fluorescents and yes I have a protein skimmer. My tang seems pretty happy though. I really would like a lot more on the coral side of the house.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many bulbs are in your fixture? I have yet to see a 4' power compact fixture that would be able to sustain clams, anemones, or acropora in a 55 gallon. You'll need a lighting upgrade to be able to keep any of these IMO.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #7

interesting

4 bulbs in the fixture, two blue and two white and then it's got some little LED moonlights, the lighting set up cost me 400 bucks.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

For that you could have gotten the current nova extreme pro T5 HO fixture which would allow you to keep anything you want. Anyway you can take it back?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm afraid that won't be nearly enough light for anemones, clams, or sps. HO T5 or MH would be the way to go for those animals.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

By the way......WELCOME TO AA!!

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com