my fish keep disappearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsu20r6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for some answers it ideas as to where my fish keep going to. The only 2 things that I feel could be the culprits are either my cortez ray or my bta. So far I have lost are 2 banggais, 2 mollys, a fire fish, a gold headed sleeper goby, a female anthias, and a blue hippo. Out if all of these the only carcasses that have been found are the hippo, one Molly, and the goby. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? My lfs thinks maybe the bta.

It's possible. But I think its rare that that many fish would fall victim to an bta. You probably got a hitchhiker my friend. But the way to find out is remove the bta and restock I suppose. But get cheap damsels or something for the test

bta is marine beta? also, how are you feeding the tank? hungry fish = missing other fish. And, have you moved any LR to look for the other missing fish? A predator in the tank might lead to stressed fish, leading to a massive game of hide and seek.

yeah, BTA = Bubble Tip Anenome
Gotta ask, you don't by chance hear random "click click" in your tank? When I hear missing fish, I always think mantis shrimp.

Bubble tip, yes. As far as feeding, we feed the equivalent of a half a cube of frozen food, a clip of seaweed, diced up frozen squid for the ray and a piece of frozen shrimp for the bta, and some if the sinking pellets every other day, and seaweed everyday for them to graze on.

What kind of CUC do you have? My thought is your fish is dieing and the CUC is doing their job. If you have bristle worms they will take care of the dead as well. How old is your tank and what are the readings for ammonia, nitrate, nitrites? The adult size of your ray is about 30 inches, if it is small yet it could be causing enough stress that it is effecting the health of your other fish.

Our tank has been going for 7 months. It was set up using water, lr, and sand from the lfs, directly from his coral tanks. We have 7 hermits, 5 turbo snails and 3 nacisus (sp) snails. I did test water, it all looked good.

So late last week we decided to take the ray back to the lfs to see if everybody in the tank quit stressing and disappearing. everyone seems to be much more relaxed. They all chase one another around the tank, and don't seem to be watching out to see where the ray is at. The picture attached is pretty much a reflection of how they would all contantly watch the ray. :lol:

So over the weekend something else happened, a turbo snail fell on the back side of a rock, i noticed it upside down as i was walking by. upon closer inspection, something (I guess) inside my LR had ahold of it. It looked like cobweb through the glass, but when removed from the water it was a clear jelly like substance, and at that moment the comment by squa about the bad hitchhiker came to mind. What would this be?

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 195
Thanks for the nice comments. Here is a pic of the jelly looking stuff, and a full tank pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 150
me too!

:( I am currently experiencing the same thing...I was given a beautiful beta named Mozart yesterday. A mere 48 hours ago he was swimming around in his resplendent habitat I set up for him. Although I have only been around him a day, I am obviously already very attached. Last night, all seemed normal...To my astonishment, this very morning I woke up and Mozart was nowhere to be found. I have checked everywhere...his abode, my closet, my car, my bed, my house, my purse, the fridge, my shoes, my purse again...I am just so confused. HELP. I am seriously concerned. Do you think someone could steal such an innocent fish?
Your friend,
Mozart's momma.:fish1::fish2::ROFLMAO::banghead:

Dear friends and fellow fish lovers,
We found Mozart's body. I have no idea how it came to this, but we learned the hard way that beta fish can jump. After looking for what seemed like hours, we came to an unexplainably ironic find. Mozart literally jumped from her beautiful bowl and landed INSIDE the beta care box inches away. Imagine my surprise when I see this grape-esk figure that used to be my friend. I just wanted to let you all know for my own closure.
Thank goodness for friends who got me a new beta I have named Violet Rose. The water level has been lowered and she is looking so happy! Of course, we have placed a ribbon above the bowl as a protective barrier. Is this a good idea? I thought so until this boy on our floor said that if she jumps again, she will wrap her self in the ribbon and mummify herself. It's crazy to think that after these few days I have become a member on this site and already experienced things I never thought possible. Fish take more toll on a life than I thought.
Thank you for your time,
Marcie and friends.

Back
Top Bottom