Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My fish wont eat!

Ok, I am very new to salt water, I'm starting a live rock/reef tank. I am going very slow and only have 1 anemone that I bought paired with a clown. I also have a mandarin goby which I was told was a "great starter fish!" after doing my homework I now know this could not be further from the truth. My tank is healthy, salinity is perfect with no toxins in the water. I added the clown and it's anemone friend today and have had the goby for a week. I haven't seen the goby eat! Will she starve?!? Is she nocturnal? Please help!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes the goby will starve you would have to attempt to get it to eat prepared food but good luck with that. I highly suggest bringing it back to the LFS for store credit because most likely it will starve to death in your tank.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That truly makes me sad. It's such a pretty fish but I don't want it to die! Could you recommend a good starter besides the clown?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Always best to make sure you watch the fish eat at the LFS. That way you know he is eating but let`s figure this out. A mandarin is a very finnicky eater. They only eat pods unless trained to eat prepared foods. Maybe you can get some pods in a bottle from your LFS. These fish need a very mature tank with lots of LR so to keep a large amount of pods on hand. Most of these fish starve to death since most tanks dont have an adequate supply of pods. Your LFS didnt help you out on that one. He should not have sold you the anenome as they need mature tanks of at least one year. As far as the mandarin try feeding frozen mysis shrimp or some vitamin fortified brine shrimp. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe there is another LFS around that might be able to give you better advice.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are tons... check out liveaquaria.com they have a section called fish for beginners I believe.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Silly question, but what is a "pod"? I'm following this thread as I am working on my first SW tank.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Copepods, they are tiny living organisms that Mandarins need to survive. They eat thousands of them, ORA just recently started tank raising these animals to survive on prepared foods, but training them on your own would be difficult, perhaps impossible. Your best bet is to go get store credit for the mandarin somewhere. The mandarin is one of the most difficult fish to keep, even in a matured tank.

You also need to find a new LFS, the one your going to is obviously irresponsible and only care about the quick sale. My LFS knows everything about my tank, and will not sell me anything they don't feel will thrive there. Your best bet is always to do your own research before you buy anything, I got burned a couple times when I first started. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Silly question, but what is a "pod"? I'm following this thread as I am working on my first SW tank.

Thanks
You Can't Tell Your "Pods" Without A Program by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok another beginners question. What do glass worms look like. I got a feather duster and when I put it in my tank there was a small pinkish worm that was about a half inch long. It was attached to the coral and has since burrowed into the sand bed. Should I be worried?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will come across many different types of worms, can't really help without a picture. Sounds like a fireworm. They will eat anything to possibly everything. But might not bug anything.

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com