my gf asked me somethin about a potatoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys my gf asked me something a few months ago when my salt level got to high in my tank, she asked if i put a potatoe in my tank......i asked her why she said because potatoes suck up salt she is not a aquarium keeper so she dont know why i dont like putting random things in my tank, but i just want to know is that possible to use in a tank?

A recommendation often given for fixing soups that have been oversalted is to add some potato. Supposedly, the potato will "suck up" some of the saltiness. Unfortunately, food scientists have proven this as just an urban myth. While the potato may taste salty, the soup is still just as salty as it was before.

Sooo... I can see where the advice is coming from. (You can decide whether or not to tell your girlfriend that the potato reducing saltiness thing is just a myth!)

Even if it DID work... sure seems safer to just take some salt water out and put some RO/DI water back in! Slowly... of course, as to not change the salinity too quick!

potatoes take the 'gassiness" out of soup beans if you soak them overnight with once cut in half... not anything related to anything in this thread though (sorry)

A recommendation often given for fixing soups that have been oversalted is to add some potato. Supposedly, the potato will "suck up" some of the saltiness. Unfortunately, food scientists have proven this as just an urban myth. While the potato may taste salty, the soup is still just as salty as it was before.

Sooo... I can see where the advice is coming from. (You can decide whether or not to tell your girlfriend that the potato reducing saltiness thing is just a myth!)

Even if it DID work... sure seems safer to just take some salt water out and put some RO/DI water back in! Slowly... of course, as to not change the salinity too quick!

Yea i thought she was crazy for thinking it would take salt out lol. I think i will let her go on believing it for the time being tho. Right now would not be a good time to break that news to her, lol.

Back
Top Bottom