My goby drives me crazy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Golden headed sleeper goby. They have been one of my favorites ever since I first got salt water 35 years ago.
He provides a nice service by keeping the sand bed clean and sifted.
BUT
he has a nasty habit of piling all the sand up against the front glass
AND
I can't keep any coral on the sand bed because he PURPOSELY buries them!!!

any frags that may happen to fall, if I don't get to them first, he buries them! :blink:

I'm sitting here thinking about getting my arm all wet first thing in the morning because a small frag got dislodged overnight and of course the goby is beginning to cover it up. :(

I'm done venting my frustration for now,
thank you for listening

This is exactly the reason I will not get one of these fish! Lol they're awesome but man I bet that's annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

LOL
I have a similar problem , I My Pink Spotted Goby is a digger and a shell collector. He digs sifts and piles sand constantly and takes any shells , snails and hemit crabs he comes across and piles them up in one place. I guess I find it comical and in the wild just a way of life. Makes this hobby interesting.

Here he is

Attachments

• goby2.jpg
    goby2.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 454
I feel your pain. Mine is pretty small still I got it at about an inch long. He still dusts all of my corals on the sand and my tank usually looks like a light snow storm. My lower rocks always have sand over them...my rock flower collects sand. Everything. I love the fish for stirring the sand bed but I'd be lying if I didn't say I think about catching him all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh ya, I can do you one better, my goby taught my Green Bird Wrasse to pick up sand and shower my corals with it. The Wrasse taught the Oriental Sweetlips to do it and the Sweetlips has taught the Huma Huma Trigger to do it! I now have 3 fish (the goby has disappeared) that continually pick up sand and spit it on coral...lol Its really annoying but the acans, lobos and zoas on the bottom of the tank don't seem to mind...

I have the same problem but I learned to live with it only difference it's not my goby it's my stupid clown he bury"s everything , He don't like when I use the turkey baster to blow away the sand it ticks him off because I fill his hole with sand :D I call it pay back lol

Back
Top Bottom