Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Hermits think snails are snacks.

Well, I ordered 50 Ilyanassa snails off Ebay. For only 7 bucks. I have quite a bit of algae for them to eat. 8O At any rate, I have 4 fairly large Clibanarius vittatus Hermit Crabs. I was worried about the crabs eating the snails. Two things happened. 1: The snails went to town on the algae, even the hair algae on the glass. 2: The hermits, that also eat the algae, really like the snails. At first they simply held them down and ate algae off the snail's back. Then they found a tasty treat inside. I sat freaking out while they tried to dig out the little buggers from the shells. I am not sure if any snails died though. The few that were assaulted walked away and none are apparently dead. Just wanted others to know, in case you have more expensive snails you don't want molested. Heres a pic of the action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2947.jpg (86.2 KB, 100 views)

Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure what kind of hermits they are, but my blue leggs have killed about 10 turbo snails since I put them in the tank. (about 3 weeks ago)

Old 08-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

10 Snails. That is quite a hit to the snail population. I am fortunate that the hermits seem to be scared of my Sea Hare. They touch it and run away.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

those hermits you got are some of the bigger jerks i stick to scarlets or zebras for the most part i have 2 of those crabs and i cant even give them away
Old 08-23-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Try giving them some sinking pellets, maybe they can get their mind off the snails.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

The crabs eat everything in sight. In fact, when I do give the fish the "slow sinking pelets" they literally leap from the top of the rock wall down to the sand. Bouncing all the way down. It is rather funny actually. Freaked me out the first time they did it. They then run around picking up all the particles that make it to the sand. Then they rape my snails again. 8O I gues they are good cleaners though. I must give them that. They also eat every type of algae I have.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think Friday I'm going to get rid of my hermit crabs. (Blue-Legs) They ate my 2 conch, and countless snails. I have a graveyard of empty shells of snails that have been eaten from those little evil things.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry to hear that. Seems like a common problem. I thought the Blue legs were to be nicer than some hermits. I just picked up a 10 gallon tank for a QT. I may just slap them in there. I would take your hermits off your hands if I were closer to Iowa. Adopt them, if you will.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are supposed to be peaceful, but these little buggers are evil. I don't work Friday so I think I'm going to take them up to my LFS, and they can deal with them. I think I'll pick up some nassarius snails or ceriths.

Iowa is a very long drive from Oklahoma. I did one time, and I don't think I'll be doing it again.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blue, orange, scarlet and zebra hermits are not "eating" your snails. Hermits need and seek out larger shells.. if a snail has a larger shell than it (sometimes it doesn't even have to be larger, they're just stupid and greedy) it'll try and pull it out. My larger electric orange tried pulling the shell off a larger mexican turbo... the mexican turbo would have none of it... he just clamped down and the hermit went on its way.

I ordered 200 of those snails you just got, and about 30 of them survived (sat in the mailbox for 3 days). I put in probably 10-15 I thought might make it.. but didn't and the hermits have since then taken over their shells! So now I have a buncha blue/zebra legged with black shells!

BTW, the hermits you got are PESKY buggers. I had one, and couldn't stand it knocking my rock over and causing all sorts of havoc. It'll do everything it can to try and get out of the tank... those are some of the not-so-cool hermits but they do do a good job cleaning.

Tags
hermit, hermits, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com