My Jesus coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I call it that because I don't know what it actually is and it came back from the dead! Got some uncured gulf live rock and assumed this guy was long gone. It was out of water for two days during shippingonly wrapped in wet paper towel. Here is a picture of when I first got it on 5/31....

uILFrqR.jpg

And here is a picture of it tonight...

5SN0jNQ.jpg

Also, the tank was only half way through cycling when I put it in, so it's been through some rough times. Looking like it will bounce back just fine though. Im excited to see what it looks like fully recovered. Anyone know what it is?

Atlantic zoos grow in shallow water. If you touch them there soft and close up? Usually found in 1 to ten feet of water will turn brown if lighting is not strong enough. Go hawks

You mean zoos like zoanthids? Definetly not those. Its kind of hard to see in the first picture because I wasn't intending to photograph it, but it started out as just a white skeleton. Its definetly an LPS of some sort.

I have something similar on mine, would love to know what it is.

In the first picture, I assume its the purple chunk a little off to the right and not the white thing in the middle? If your sure its not zoas, which it does look a lot like, my best good would be a favite with all its feeders out? I don't though, thats seems like way to much growth for a favite in such a short period of time.

aadair22, it is indeed the white area in the middle. Just to the right of the yellow sponge. The same thing is actually on a couple other pieces of rock, but not grown back quite as well. Still showing skeleton in places. I could get a picture later if you'd like.

Google leptastrea. Doesn't seem exactly like it but its hard to tell from the pics. The color just looks wrong to me but check it out anyway.

Ooh la la I think you may have nailed it! I just took some pictures of the other two so I may as well post them. Here is the one that has recovered the least...

AMnv1Yf.jpg

And this one is recovering just a wee bit slower than the first one I posted...

5KKuPqZ.jpg

And as a bonus here is another hitchhiker coral I got. Looks a lot like a sun coral...

q9zcT6w.jpg

I couldn't fine a website that said where Leptastrea comes from. If it grows in the gulf I'm pretty sure that's what it is.Thanks for the help guys!

The polyps are too small. Looks more like a blasto. Your other new coral is a trumpet coral, not a sun. That's a good thing because trumpets are at least photosynthetic. What kind of lighting do you have?

Hmm from the pictures i quickly looked at the blasto polyps looked bigger than these. It might be impossible to id until it grows out more i guess. The other coral isnt a trumpet, or at least not what i bought as a trumpet. The trumped skeletons ive seen have more rigid skeletons, where this one is smoother and doesny seem to branch the same way.

Back
Top Bottom