My KH is high??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stryder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have added a buffer but can't seem to figure it out. My KH reading is in the 180 range!!! more buffer??

Oh, it's a troubled tank with amonia, nitrates and nitrites all around 0. My PH is hard to read. it always looks black not bluey green. I had my lfs test it and they said it was 7.3. When I got home I added 2 tsp of buffer. Am I on the wrong track or what??

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Do you have glass tops on your tank. If you have any power heads aim them up to the surface and agitate the surface. Also what is your salinity reading. What size tank also?

the top is not glass and the powerhead is already pointed up. I did adjust the salt this morning, it was 17 and I brought it up to 20. oh it's a 55 gal

thanks again!

There is no top at all right? I would consider a partial water change to see if that would rectify the problem. I m not one to start adding chems at first . Try the water changes first and test that water somewhere else. 7.3 dont sound right. It should not be that low.

stryder said:
My KH reading is in the 180 range!!! more buffer??
Your alkalinity is a little high but nothing to panic about 180 ppm = 3.6 mEq/l

I had my lfs test it and they said it was 7.3. When I got home I added 2 tsp of buffer. Am I on the wrong track or what??
Worse thing you can do is get the LFS to test pH. Once the sample is removed from the tank it needs to be tested in a timely fashon. Once transported, no matter what distance/time, the sample becomes "contaminated" so to speak. If covered, CO2 can becomes saturated and depress pH giving a low reading and if uncovered the reverse is true. The sample becomes aerated thereby increasing pH values.

You are better off taking your test kit into them and doing a comparison on their tanks water to help you interpret the results.

What brand of kit do you use? Bluish -green will usually mean a higher end reading (Salifert) not lower. Just be sure you let the test vial air dry before using again with your tanks.

In any event, with the above average alkalinity reading, more commonly the problem will be as others have pointed out, improper tank aeration. This is not just limited to a tank being covered. It can also be from improper total tank aeration (not enough total GPH) as well as poor room ventilation, especially in winter months when the doors/windows are often kept closed 24/7.

One problem you will have is from low salinity. Chemsitry is often harder to maintain when the salinity is kept at lower values. You are doing yourself no favors by keeping it below 1.025 SG. If you have a refractometer, target 35 ppt. Be very careful how quickly you raise the salinity. Teleost marine fish do not handle fast increases in salinity. It must be done slowly over several days no more than 0.001/day. Allowing it to evap down and topping of with the desired salinity water is the easiest.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom