Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lfs, grrrr....

With the help of Steve-s I decided to add a dwarf angel to my livestock. So, last Saturday I head to the lfs (which I already know is not that great but I don't have many options). There I see a tank labeled "Singapore Angel". I leaf through the books they have but don't find that spieces so finally I ask... "Is that Singapore Angel a dwarf angel"? Without hesitation the girl says "yes, it is". So I ask to watch it eat, etc, etc and then finally make the purchase.
From what I can find on the Net is this fish is NOT a dwarf and grows to 7 inches 8O Needless to say it will be just a tad big for my 75g. It is very pretty so I guess I'll keep it for as long as I can.
I think my purchases will have to be on-line from now on.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
zacdl

You dont nessesarily have to buy online, you just have to know what they have, and do your own reasearch.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As with nearly any purchase, it's always Buyer Beware. If you bought the fish on impulse, its more your fault than the LFS employee earning minimum wage. Especially in the saltwater side, you really have to do your research, and even then it's wise to ask a fellow hobbyist their opinion, which is why we're here
Old 05-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I was going to add that I know it was my fault basically..but forgot to. The thing is this isn't the first time they've given me bad advice (luckly the other times I did my homework and didn't take their advice). Yes, I know that makes me look even more dumb for listening to them this time

Quote:
wise to ask a fellow hobbyist their opinion, which is why we're here
I did have this nagging feeling before I bought it that I should look it up for myself - plus I had my 8 year old with me who wanted it.....
Another lesson learned....
Old 05-31-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
I would recommend not taking the LFS advice on anything i personally study everything im going to get before i buy it. My LFS usually dont know anything. Good example i went in there to buy some corals and they didnt know what half of them were so i bought them....knowing what they are....and got a better price because of it.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

goofyferret-- i love to do that! lol. the smart LFS is nice to talk to because it is stimulating.. but the best place to go is the dopey LFS ( at least in my case). they keep their stock healthy, but.. they really, truly, dont know wtf they are talking about, and i tend to get things very cheap from them in this situation.. :p
Old 05-31-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's good to see another Iowan here!

I would get that Marine Fish book that lists a good majority of the fish you see in the trade, and take that along with you to the LFS. Also ask open-ended questions about fish so they have to explain to you what they are. Instead of saying is that angel a dwarf? Ask them to tell you about the angel. You SHOULD know as soon as they open their mouth on whether they know what they are doing.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Dang Iowan's are taking over...... Wheres all the Minnesotans???
Calling all MNs we need backup!
Quote:

It's good to see another Iowan here!

I would get that Marine Fish book that lists a good majority of the fish you see in the trade, and take that along with you to the LFS.
Bingo get yourself a good book that will help enormously....On the other hand i wont take a word from a LFS on anything without finding out for myself....

Go MINNESOTA!
Old 06-01-2005, 03:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dang Iowan's are taking over...... Wheres all the Minnesotans???
Calling all MNs we need backup!

Good luck! At least you have the pop base to maybe find someone. I still find it really weird that I can have 5 major pet stores within a 5 mile radius that all sell FW and SW (one is fish devoted only, The Reef) but no one on this site is from Alaska! Oh, I don't include Wal-Mart in that listing... don't think they really count since their fish "manager" is more interested in her next date than if fish are happy or even alive!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
I have never seen a Wal-Mart sell fish . . .

Does that mean my Wal-Mart is even worse!?

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com