Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lfs stinks...:(

I just bought 2 peppermint shrimp from my lfs and got them home and they are lying on their backs kicking with their flippers... are they gonna make it? I am drip acclimating them, I tested their water and my refractometer was reading below a sg of 1.20.. don't remember the ppt.. The girl at the lfs checked my sg in their hydrometer and told me that my sg was high..it was reading 1.027.. At first I thought that my water(which was left in my truck for a few hours) had evaporated some out... Then after getting home and seeing that it is 1.023 on my hydrometer and my refractometer was reading 32ppt, I figured out what was wrong, the girl must not rinse her hydrometer out up at the store.. and on top of that I get home and look at the "turbos" that I bought and find that I have margarita(telltale mother of pearl).. so now I feel like I need to find somewhere else to do business..might have to just trek up to ATL eveytime I need something... Anyways, sorry for the long post but I'm just a tad bit annoyed at the moment, what is anyones take on my shrimp? Will they make it.. I guess all I can do is continue to drip...Oh.. and the girl also said that u only have to float the bag for 15mins.. and then I asked her how should I do my fish when I get em(just fishing for what they do) and she told me "same thing" just float...well.. It's frustrating trying to find reliable help...

Old 05-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Such Irony... I went to move the one shrimp from behind the rock(he was upside down still kickin') and it got wedged behind some more rock where I couldn't reach it so I said junk it(actually something more profain) and then it somehow got to an aiptasia way up on a high rock and I thought " cool, it's attacking my aiptasia".. WRONG, now it seems the aiptasia is eating it...WOO HOO!!!

Old 05-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

progress report... they are both in shrimpy heaven.. but hey, I just learned a good lesson...
Old 05-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Shrimp are sensitive to changes and need to be acclimated carefully. I acclimated mine over a period of an 1 3/4 hrs.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did the same.. the lfs's bag of water was at 1.019 sg...they really don't know much...hehe
Old 05-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most LFS keep their water around 1.018 since it helps keep parasites down.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love the lfs that I go to, but their recommendation for acclimating is to float the bag for 15 or 20 min, changing out a bit of water now and again. Which is strange because I have seen that when they get new fish in, they are being drip acclimated in a bucket.
Anyway, sorry about your shrimp. Does your lfs have any sort of guarantee?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah... the girl told me to come up and get some more..but I don't really know if I want to unless I get them when they get them in Fri...cuz I don't want them to put them in their any of their tanks.. their water is bad..
Old 05-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
mine keeps theirs at 1.025 which i thought was abit high

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com