My lfs stinks...:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought 2 peppermint shrimp from my lfs and got them home and they are lying on their backs kicking with their flippers... are they gonna make it? I am drip acclimating them, I tested their water and my refractometer was reading below a sg of 1.20.. don't remember the ppt.. The girl at the lfs checked my sg in their hydrometer and told me that my sg was high..it was reading 1.027.. At first I thought that my water(which was left in my truck for a few hours) had evaporated some out... Then after getting home and seeing that it is 1.023 on my hydrometer and my refractometer was reading 32ppt, I figured out what was wrong, the girl must not rinse her hydrometer out up at the store.. and on top of that I get home and look at the "turbos" that I bought and find that I have margarita(telltale mother of pearl).. so now I feel like I need to find somewhere else to do business..might have to just trek up to ATL eveytime I need something...:( Anyways, sorry for the long post but I'm just a tad bit annoyed at the moment, what is anyones take on my shrimp? Will they make it.. I guess all I can do is continue to drip...Oh.. and the girl also said that u only have to float the bag for 15mins.. and then I asked her how should I do my fish when I get em(just fishing for what they do) and she told me "same thing" just float...well.. It's frustrating trying to find reliable help...

Such Irony... I went to move the one shrimp from behind the rock(he was upside down still kickin') and it got wedged behind some more rock where I couldn't reach it so I said junk it(actually something more profain) and then it somehow got to an aiptasia way up on a high rock and I thought " cool, it's attacking my aiptasia".. WRONG, now it seems the aiptasia is eating it...WOO HOO!!!

Shrimp are sensitive to changes and need to be acclimated carefully. I acclimated mine over a period of an 1 3/4 hrs.

I love the lfs that I go to, but their recommendation for acclimating is to float the bag for 15 or 20 min, changing out a bit of water now and again. Which is strange because I have seen that when they get new fish in, they are being drip acclimated in a bucket.
Anyway, sorry about your shrimp. Does your lfs have any sort of guarantee?

yeah... the girl told me to come up and get some more..but I don't really know if I want to unless I get them when they get them in Fri...cuz I don't want them to put them in their any of their tanks.. their water is bad..

Back
Top Bottom