My LR purple coraline is melting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adacaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
I do not know what has happen, but the coraline on my LR seems to be falling off the rocks my sand is purple. Can anyone tell me what has happen?

The purple your seeing on the sand probably is cyano. I have some cyano that is very similar looking to purple coralline on the bottom of my QT and on the PVC tubes. Can you explain "falling off the rocks"? Are there new bare patches? Also if the "coralline" comes off the sand in sheets if you disturb it, then its cyano. HTH

If your sand is purple, I second the cyno suggestion. Can you post a pic so we can know for sure? What type of lighitng do you have? What are your water parameters, including PO4?

I have 55/65watt lamps Sunpaq 8 tubs about 1 1/2 ft. long that cross the tank and a timmer that lights night and day and morning . I can not post a picture cause I dont no how. If it is cayno how can I get it out. I have a 72 tank my water parameters are all OK can I be feedig my fish to much, I feed them once a day but those tangs really eat alot

Yes it is in sheets. I was putting a new soft coral can that have cause it

Then most likely it's cyano. I highly doubt the coral caused it. How old are the lamps in your lighting system? Old lamps promote problematic algaes, etc. Also check your source water for phosphate, cut back on feedings- just put some nori in a clip for the tangs, and try a few water changes(assuming your source water checks out ok) to start w/. Try doing a search on this site, and I'm sure someone who can provide more advice will chime in.
PS-Posting your water parameters including Ca, ALK may be be helpful.

There are several things you can do to get rid of the cyno. First off, change your bulbs. Old bulbs loose spectrum over time and this can contribute. Test for PO4 in your tank and in your source water that you use for top-offs and water changes. If you are not using RO/DI water, start. Re-evaluate your feeding and lighting schedule. Feed less and have your lights on less. Do a water change and suck up as much of the cyno as you can. I used a product by Boyd Enterprises, Inc called Chemi-Clean that is suppose to get rid of cyno. It worked great to help with the outburst, but it is not a cure. You still need to get tot he root problem.

Thank you so much for your help,I am very gratful.
That's what we're here for. 23 months, WOW those are some old bulbs!! FYI fluorescent bulbs should be changed every 8-12 months.
Good luck.

I have a easy question, touch it and if its slimy and soft its algae/cyno bacteria if it is hard and can be picked up and crumbled its coralline. I had coralline fall off my fuge walls when I swithced to lower lighting.
The bulbs are 23 months old?? Do you have any corals?
Cyno excess nutrients, low flow areas and old bulbs( wrong spectrum) can bring it on.
Check PO4 and nitrates.....let us know the levels.

My blubs are 3 months old it is a new tank,that was a mistake. I touch it and it is slimy my levels are all OK. I have not chek my my PO4 or CAL cause I have not found that here in Puerto Rico, so I sent to get by internet and have not arrived. I put in some cal. suplements, maybe it was OK and went up high. I am doing a water change tomorrow andI WILL try to pull out as much as I can. And I am not going to put anything in it until my testers arrive. "THANKS"

23 months is well past the point where you would typically replace the bulbs. What kinds of light is it?

Adacaro..kudos my friend, its best policy to not dose what your not testing for. That is, if you dose and can not test it, how do you know your not causing problem. Excellent plan! As for the Cyano, if your tank is only 3 months, a little more info is needed. Corals, fish, clean up crew, live sand, crushed coral, etc. What kindof lights are they? NO, VHO,etc? Is it in direct sunlight? Basically, its helpful to have a profile of your tank and equipment your using, specifically. However, as others have mentioned, you need to check for any levels of 'unwanted' trace elements as thy can feed the bad algea.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom