My LR should Arrive Today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have my 46 Gal Bowfront waiting for my LR, which should show up today...

I ordered 45 lbs of Select Fiji Premium and 35 lbs of Fiji Foundation (base) from Liveaquaria.com that should be delivered this afternoon.

I have my Tank filled about 3/4 with RO/DI Water that I've added salt to that is right between 78-79 Degrees with a SG of 1.024. I also have added just under 50lbs of Substrate that I think looks to be in the 2" area (if I leveled it all off).

My "plan" is to get the rock, rinse in Tub of Salt Water and right into the tank to start my intial cycle. I'm not sure if I will add all 80 lbs at once, but will see how it looks once I start adding... I think that the Base should go on the bottom and the LR arround the top. I've never Aquascaped anything, so it will be a new experience for me.

SW2

Sounds good man. Im going to be starting that same process hopefully this weekend!! Let me know how everything goes...i was thinking about buying my LR from liveaquaria.com as well.....same thing!! foundation rock and LR. Let me know how everything works out!!!

"Tanks" alot :)
Mike

Here is my ~80 lbs from Live Aquaria... 45 lbs of Select Premium Fiji and 35 lbs of Fiji Foundation...

Overall fairly happy... there was quite a bit of "Rubble" (1-3 inch long pieces).. but I think it seems OK...

P.s. I did move the big hunk on the upper right that looks very precarious.

SW2

Attachments

• 46gal80lr_196.jpg
    46gal80lr_196.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 64
they sent you some real nice shapes, let us know how ur cycles coming along

Looks great man!!! you recommend the liveaquaria stock??? I was leaning towards that sight as well!

Nice :D Hows' the "life" on it and do you think it was worth getting "Select Premium Fiji" which is the "best hand picked lr" according to thier site?

tecwzrd said:
Nice :D Hows' the "life" on it and do you think it was worth getting "Select Premium Fiji" which is the "best hand picked lr" according to thier site?

Not sure about the "life" yet... don't see too much, but I'm not sure I know what I'm looking at... There seems to be good array of colors, but didn't really have time to look at all the nooks and cranny's yet. I will more tonight and this weekend.

I do recommend the Rock overall, I just think the amount of small "rubble" type pieces (Size of my Finger, or maybe 2 Fingers Side-by-Side) was more than I may have expected. I didn't weigh the rock as I took it out, but the Small Pieces were more than a few large Handfuls (which I didn't really think were big enough to use in my tank).

SW2

if you have a sump or a cannister filter put the rubble in there

SuperWade2 said:
I do recommend the Rock overall, I just think the amount of small "rubble" type pieces (Size of my Finger, or maybe 2 Fingers Side-by-Side) was more than I may have expected. I didn't weigh the rock as I took it out, but the Small Pieces were more than a few large Handfuls (which I didn't really think were big enough to use in my tank).

Thanks :D Kind of surprised as well about the smaller pieces considering its hand picked premium rock and comes with a premium price. Could be they included a couple of handfuls to be used in the sump and hadn’t really planed for you to use it in the main. If you had specified the size ie: 4+” you might have had better results but either way I’m glad you’re happy :)

I’m always a little skeptical of the “perfect” photos that most online sites post of lr just after removing from the ocean and teeming with life. With the exception of liverocks.com I haven’t seen too many people with lr to match what’s shown online.

With the exception of liverocks.com I haven’t seen too many people with lr to match what’s shown online.

which site at liverock.com do you recommend?? Ive visited that website and found marinedepot, intmarine and liveaquaria....all seem to be offering about the same thing..
It is lr so im sure everyone thinks that have the best "handpicked" rocks!!

"tanks" alot
Mike

It's www.liverocks.com with the s. They had some of the best lr around with tons of life. They are not shipping lr right now because the hurricanes wiped them out last year. Hopefully they will be back some time this year but it could be longer. Right now finding quality lr can be a chore.

Here are a few more pics of my LiveAquaria Select Fiji LR... Put in the Tank Thursday PM, now Saturday AM.

Attachments

• _02_18_06__10_14__133_396.jpg
    _02_18_06__10_14__133_396.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 29
  • _02_18_06__10_14__134_923.jpg
    _02_18_06__10_14__134_923.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 30
  • _02_18_06__10_15__135_497.jpg
    _02_18_06__10_15__135_497.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 26
Here are a few more pics of my LiveAquaria Select Fiji LR... Put in the Tank Thursday PM, now Saturday AM.

Attachments

• _02_18_06__10_15__136_336.jpg
    _02_18_06__10_15__136_336.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 29
  • _02_18_06__10_15__137_177.jpg
    _02_18_06__10_15__137_177.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 24
  • _02_18_06__10_16__138_835.jpg
    _02_18_06__10_16__138_835.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 34
Looks nice. Also looks like they sent you a lot of branch. Let me know how the cycle's coming along. I just started curing and my ammonia's out of control!

Here a few random pics of my rock off ebay:

Attachments

• february_1__2006_005_113.jpg
    february_1__2006_005_113.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 23
  • february_1__2006_006_755.jpg
    february_1__2006_006_755.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 17
As of Friday Night, my Ammonia was Nada, or at least barely detectable (if I was reading hte Colors Correctly, which I'm not 100% sure of)...

I am running another Ammonia test now to see where I'm at... also I have a 'Free' Ammonia Test and a 'Total' Ammonia... I ran the Free on Friday, but not the Total, which is what I"m doing now...

I put the rock in on Thurday, but I'm not sure how my cycle will be since the Rock was Cured LR, had 2 day Shipping worth of Die-Off, and I didn't use a Shirmp (and hope I don't have too... it just seem cruel and unusal punishment to put that poor little shrimp through that... I'm going to be promoting a Fishless/Shrimpless Cycle if I can work out the details...) :twisted:

SW2

Wow, no ammonia, huh? Maybe it was fully cured....hmmm.

And about the shrimp, dude, do you feel the same way when you eat shrimp cocktail and shrimp tempura? hahah! :lol:

Lagger said:
Wow, no ammonia, huh? Maybe it was fully cured....hmmm.

And about the shrimp, dude, do you feel the same way when you eat shrimp cocktail and shrimp tempura? hahah! :lol:

I just did the Total Ammonia (Reagent I think) on my water , and it was reading at about 0.2 (Or Medium Light Green on my little sensor thingy)... so there is more today than Friday... I'm not sure what I sholud expect, or how high of a "spike" I might get, but it is rising... I need to go run my Trite and Trate tests here again too...

As far as the shrimp, I do not eat anything that swims, slithers, oozes or crawls of out of an ocean, lake , river, etc.... A Steak from a Cow walking thru a Farm Pond is as close to 'SeaFood' as I will get... :lol:

Seems like you ammonia is on the rise. Not sure what it's going to peak at. My tests are currently reading dark green at like .60ppm!!! I have a long way to go.....

I hear yah, cut off its horns, wipe it's ass and throw it on a plate! I like my meat the same way :) But you do understand you're talking about a dead shrimps feelings, right? :p

Back
Top Bottom