My LTA is mad at me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darron863

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I posted that i was thinking of getting a RBTA and today my LTA closed up inside itself and didnt come out at all it normally is about 12 in. across and it shriveled up to a circle about 2 in. around the only time i have seen this before is when i firs got him but never since and I dont have any thing in the tank that even gets close to him anyway

What are your water parameters? Have you tested lately? Have you done a PWC lately? Has the temp in the tank gone up or down suddenly? The only time my LTA did that is when I moved my tank and he was back out in the temp tank I had all my LR in while I moved the tank.

every ting looks good i am thinking my bulbs need replacing i talked to a friend and he said his did the same thing and started growing algae on sand my bulbs are about a year and a half old current 4x65watt talked to LFS he said they should be replace every year

my bulbs are about a year and a half old current 4x65watt
They definitely need replacing then. Changing them every 10 months, may be a little sooner, would be best. Becareful w/ light acclimation after you change them. Anemones will shrivel like that occsionally to expel waste. Keep an eye on it, and monitor your water params and temperature. What other corals do you keep w/ the anemone?

Soft coral can emit toxins into the water, but none of those corals should be of much concern. Do you run GAC, or anything similar? Do regular PWC's?

added 25 more lbs of live rock about 5 mths ago and it looks funny with every thing else being purple i know i realy didnt need it but i didnt like the look

Running some GAC, if possible, would be a good precautionary measure. I don't know exactly what's in purple up, but it would be a good idea to check so you know what your adding to your tank. If the anemone does not look better by tomorrow I would start making some SW for PWC's and discontinue the purple up additions. FWIW I've never read anything compelling enough to make me think purple works much faster than just having good Ca, Alk, and magnesium levels.

thank you for your advice he has opened back up but not all the way he is about 3/4 his normal size i am no longer going to use the purple up the coralline has got a good hold on the new rock and with the new algae on the sand i really think its the lights now thank you again

Back
Top Bottom