My mantis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mo8cinco

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got it when it was only a cm big look how beautiful he has grown in 6 months

Attachments

• image-3956676192.jpg
    image-3956676192.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 179
WOW! Was it that color when you got it? Does it make the clicking sounds a lot? I hear a clicking in my tank sometimes so I'm afraid I might have one in there!! I put a piece of coral in my tank a while ago and saw a tiny little shrimp (i think) it was clear- whitish, after I thought I probably shouldn't have let that in my tank, it was too late! Haven't been able to locate what's making the clicks!!
Is yours in a tank by itself?

I found it in my aquarium got him out and now he is alone in his own tank made out of plexi glass

I am actually considering a peacock mantis for my 29 gallon reef build. The tank is cycling now. What are you feeding him and how often?

He loves emerald crabs he tears them apart and every now and then I feed him zooplankton. But in all honesty I hardly have to feed him. Throw some emerald crab in there and he'll tear them yo as he pleases

I read a post a long while ago regarding a guy who fed his chunks of chocolate starfish. He kept them in his sump and when he went to feed him, would lop off an arm of one of the starfish and put it back into the sump. I thought this was a neat idea since the arm grows back, almost an infinite supply of food.

And for the record, the shattering aquarium glass is a myth. If one has that I'm not aware of, that was the worst made aquarium/glass ever constructed.

Along with the post concerning the mystery clicking in their tank, mantis shrimp aren't the only ones that make this sound. You will stumble upon stories of people freaking out over this sound thinking they have a mantis and that if they don't find it their whole reef setup is in danger. If it is a mantis this might be true, but in these stories it ended up being their pistol shrimp.

I hope the clicking is not a mantis! I don't have a pistol shrimp though!! None of my fish have vanished! I hear the clicking at feeding time mostly.......can't quite pinpoint where it comes from....... I am a little afraid to keep my hands near the rocks too long!

I am incredibly interested in the peacock mantis but I want to put some corals in my 29 gallon. What are the tank and sand bed requirements? My understanding is that the likelihood of a tank being broke is actually the bottom of the tank due to the burrowing, especially with a smasher. I can reinforce the bottom of the tank with a sheet of acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom