Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2006, 01:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

only because it was made for a 75g and I wouldn't be overly confident using it personally.
What is it made out of? it's hard to tell as in one pic it looks like the back legs are thin wood, but in the same pic the front legs look like steel.
Not having a go mate, just giving my personal opinion.
75gallon to a 110gallon is a big jump to be messing with (or withoutin this case) structural integrity.

**** nice looking tank though..

Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
only because it was made for a 75g and I wouldn't be overly confident using it personally.
Thanks for the concern. I was thinking the same thing but then again, I know a few people that upgraded from their 75G to higher tanks that fit their tank (90G, 105G, 110G). A "75G stand" is just a universal name for any 48"x18" stand IMO.

ADDED: The guy that I bought the tank from was going to use the following solid oak stand for the 110G. As you can see, no center brace front nor back. I'll have to compare my stand to it material-wise though.

http://www.marshreef.com/modules/For...and_view_i.jpg

Quote:
What is it made out of? it's hard to tell as in one pic it looks like the back legs are thin wood, but in the same pic the front legs look like steel.
The material is the thing I'm most concerned about. It is wood but I don't know what kind. I havn't been able to call the maker yet. Maybe I'll give him a call tomorrow. His thought on this would be most important.

Quote:
Not having a go mate, just giving my personal opinion.
I can't thank you enough for taking your time and give me your opinions. That's basically what everyone wants from this forum.

Quote:
darn nice looking tank though..
Thanks

_________

Day 3

Not much was done today either because I had school and work. I can't do anything much during the week because I get home from work at 6:30PM. Anyway, I spent 2 hours to fix my aquascape. It looks WAY better than yesterday's IMO. The water is a little cloudy right now because of all the rock-moving, so I'll have to save the pictures for tomorrow.

_________

Thanks for tuning in my build log! "Day 4" episode will be on air tomorrow night!

To Be Continued...

Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looking good!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote="FishFrik"]
Quote:
If it makes you feel better, I upgraded from a 75g to 110g on my 'All Glass' Pine stand. I was concerned as well and actually called All Glass. They told me, weight-wise, it's rated to handle something ridiculous like 210g or something. I've been using the stand for a year and a half with no problems so far.

Also regarding the 110...I think you have it covered but really make sure to get some flow going deep in the tank. I've got a ton of flow in mine and I've still got dead spots on my sand. It's really hard to keep things moving in a tank so tall. It's my biggest complaint about the 110. Consider running topless on the thing to help with gas exchange. With the surface area to volume of water and especially if you have a small sump - you'll need all the gas exchange you can get.

Good luck.

- Skins
Old 09-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I think you have it covered but really make sure to get some flow going deep in the tank.
Quote:
Consider running topless on the thing to help with gas exchange. With the surface area to volume of water and especially if you have a small sump - you'll need all the gas exchange you can get.
Thanks for the reminders. Yeah, I'm going to try my best to keep my tank from having dead spots, which I had in my old 29G...(its cyano outbreak's still haunting me). Currently, I have 4 Maxjet900's running in there. They are all mod'ed w/ the basic Maxi Mod so I basically have 8 directions of flows in there. 2 of them are near the top to help with gas exchange. Also, my canopy is open in the back. There are two fans blowing from both side of it too so the canopy actually helps with the gas exchange and temperature.

In addition to that, I'm plumbing my sump this weekend so gas exchange will never be an issue Plus, with the returning Mag7, I'll have more flow to prevent dead spots. YAY!

Speaking of flow, I'm thinking of buying a Mod kit ($45) for 1 of my Maxijet. I've heard that it can boost the performance from 260GPH to 1200GPH.

Thank you so much for your insights!

Pictures of new Aquascape is coming tonight! Stay tuned!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, just to give you an idea - I've got 4 maxijet 1200s, 3 of them on a wave maker and one of them the Maxijet mod, plus a Mag7 as a return....and still dead spots. Seems impossible, I know...but it's just so deep. Just something to keep an eye on.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anxious to see the re-aquascaped pics. Just a thought- I have a Seio powerhead that has high flow. You might check one of them out
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113040
good luck
Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay on the pictures. Had so many things to do last night.

Here is the tank as off last night. I didn't change the aquascape's general shape that much but it has improved tremendously from a packed stack to a structure which has many overhangs and caves. Enjoy!

________
Day 4

All I got done was strategically positioned my 4 mod'ed Maxijets. Believe it or not, it was harder than it sounds. Because there are 2 flows coming out the each of the Maxijets, I had to position them correctly so they won't crash too much into each other or into the tank walls and blow sand everywhere (happened lol).
Old 09-27-2006, 11:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

FishFrik- What do you have the minijet hooked to? And the turbo twist, is it on a ph?
thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
What do you have the minijet hooked to?
The minijet is for my Phosban Reactor.

Quote:
And the turbo twist, is it on a ph?
Yes, it is hooked to a Maxijet400, which is on the left of the skimmer's pump.

_______

Day 5

I tested the water today. The parameters were alright

PH - 8.2
NH3 - 0.25< (I think something is wrong is with test kit. My tank water always tests for 0.25)
NO2 - 0+ (Not quite 0.1 but a little/tiny indication of pink)
NO3 - 14
SG - 1.024
PO4 - 0.03

I got a really nice 4" piece of galaxia for $15 from a local reefer. First life of the tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com