Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
My New 110G :D

Got my 110G today! Since my fish and corals are all at a LFS (babysitting), it feels like I'm starting from the scratch, so I thought I would make a building log for this new tank Enjoy!

Tank: ReefReady All-Glass/Oceanic Hight 110 Gallons Tank (48"x18"x30")
LiveRock: 160+ Pounds
LiveSand: 100+ Pounds - 2 inches Sandbed
Flow: 4 Mod'ed Maxijets 900 - 940+ GPH
Lighting: 260W PowerCompact
Filtration: Coralife Super Skimmer 125, LTP Phosban Reactor, 9W Coralife UV Sterilizer (Rated for 125G)
Heater: 250W Jager

Plans:
1. 40G Sump/fuge
2. 4 x 54W T5 Fixture
3. Auto Top-Off

The 110G was a heavy beast, which weighted about 200lbs. The 6' seller, my dad and I had to bring it down from the 2nd floor of an apartment complex.

The tank didn't fit my 75G stand, because the stand was homemade. DOH! We tried to fit it in and cracked 1 side of the stand a little but it was all good lol. I quickly filled the tank with the sand, then stacked the rocks. I tried to stack them against the back glass to leave more swimming space in the front. The aquascape did not come out as I wanted. It looks like a stacked together pile of LR now...I don't know if I should change it or not. Since water is already the tank and the tank is 30" high, moving the rock around would suck XD I only filled the tank with water to 0.5" below the overflow box's intake because my plumbing is not done. After that, I added the CSS and Maxijets ,and fired them up. Boys! The CSS went nuts for Detrius! I'm glad I bought this skimmer.

That was pretty what I did today. Doesn't it sound like alot of work AND fun? I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show how the tank is doing

Here's a few pictures of my old 75G. I really missed it but... this 110G is gonna ROCK!

Enjoy!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m excited and cant wait!!!!

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Post pics so we can see how it's going. I know you are going to love the bigger tank.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Morning After Day 1 Pictures

________

As you can see, I havn't filled the tank up yet because the plumbing is not done. I'm planning to finish the plumbing next weekend. A problem that I'll have to face when I plumb this thing is the stand. The 2 openings are too small to put any decent sump/fuge in there. A friend of mine recommended me to cut off the middle divider. This stand was homemade for a 75G, so I don't know if that would be a smart thing to do. The 110G itself is way heavier than a 75G alone due to the thicker glass. I'll have to call the maker of the stand and ask. Meanwhile...

QUESTION: Do you guys think cutting off the middle divider is a good idea?

If I'm to cut it off, I supposed I could drain the water out and try to reduce the tank's weight as much as possible.

Picture of the stand

Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could always get a sump built that would slide in standing on one end then turn it once it was in the stand. Or get all the pieces cut and put it together inside the stand. I had a side door built into my stand so i can slide the Sump out of the side when ever I needed to.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't you drop the sump in from the top before you put the tank on? This is what I did. I had to temporarily remove a cross brace slide the 30g sump in and then replace the cross brace.

Do you have a pic of the stand without the tank on it?

BTW, love the pics of the 75g. First thought I had was how many fish do you have in there? Your profile states only 3, but I think I counted 3 tangs, 2 butterflies, 2 clowns, royal gramma, mandarin and another fish I could not ID. Even with the 110g this will be alot of fish if not too many. I hope you do not have plans to add any fish.

The 110g is 35g more volume, but does not add any swimming room for those big tangs because it is not any longer.

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You could always get a sump built that would slide in standing on one end then turn it once it was in the stand.
I tried that. The biggest tank I could barely fit through the door was a 10G

Quote:
Or get all the pieces cut and put it together inside the stand.
I thought about that but it is too much trouble XD I never want to build my own sump/fuge. I'm getting a really nice used one from a LFS because they broke down their show tank.

Quote:
Can't you drop the sump in from the top before you put the tank on?
I tried that before I put the tank in. The guy who made this stand didn't think about the reefready aspect of it so he made a pretty wide brace all around. I will even have to cut off a small piece from that brace to use the drilled holes under my tank XD

Quote:
BTW, love the pics of the 75g. First thought I had was how many fish do you have in there? Your profile states only 3, but I think I counted 3 tangs, 2 butterflies, 2 clowns, royal gramma, mandarin and another fish I could not ID. Even with the 110g this will be alot of fish if not too many. I hope you do not have plans to add any fish.
Thanks for the compliment! Yes I did have alot of fish in that 75G. I made mistakes and impulsively bought them all. I learned my lession though . I'm only keeping the Blue Tang and Clownfish for now and sold away the rest. This time i'll try to do everything right with this 110G, starting with the right equipments.

_________

Day 2

I didn't get many things done today because I "had" to attend the MACNA tradeshow. It was AMAZING! Anway hehe, I set up my UV sterilizer and Phosban reactor today. In the reactor, I run Seachem Matrix and Phosguard (got them as "free samples" from MACNA lol). I also painted the back of the tank black. After every filters were in place, I put on the canopy and turned on the light. The water got clear so quickly thanks to the CSS125. Here are some pictures of the tank as of this afternoon:

Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good so far. Too bad about the sump.

I have an idea though. What about installing a temporary brace off set like middle of one of the doors. The cut out the center brace and replace it once you slide in your sump.

Otherwise another metod which would require you to remove the tank is to cut out the floor of the stand. Then just position the sump and set the stand over the top of it. This would most likely cause no structural of cosmetic issues. Just a thought.

Glad to see you are modifying your stocking list. I have 7 fish in my 90g, but only one tang (large fish).

Good Luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The tank didn't fit my 75G stand, because the stand was homemade. DOH! We tried to fit it in and cracked 1 side of the stand a little but it was all good lol.
Quote:
If I'm to cut it off, I supposed I could drain the water out and try to reduce the tank's weight as much as possible.
umm, I wouldn't be using that stand at all let alone cutting the middle brace out of it.[
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
umm, I wouldn't be using that stand at all let alone cutting the middle brace out of it.[
Why wouldn't you? The difference between the tank's width and the stand was only about 2mm. The tank went down hard when we slid it in the stand and poped the right brace out just a tiny bit.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com