my new 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queenb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So bought and moved the 90 gal 6 years established tank to my house on Friday.
it is loaded with mushrooms and soft corals and 8 fish.
Its working and everything looks good. T he fish look happy
my test this morning (sunday)
nitrate 40
nitrite .25
ph 7.8
amonia 0.50

i am going to perform water change
how much water should i do
we put a new agregate in the tank and have about 70% of the old water
and all the stuff in the sump
Uploaded with

sam0318s.jpg

Thanks, I think I will need it
How often do you think I should do water changes
I did one tonight 15 %

Sounds like you are experiencing a small mini cycle due to the move. Most likely the loss of nitrifying bacteria which resides on the rock may have died off slightly. Additionally, the new substrate you put in isn't seeded (yet).

Your ammonia is slightly concerning. Most likely, moving everything around is just causing a small cycle and a few water changes and close monitoring and you should be good to go.

I would conduct an immediate 50% water change to try and get that ammonia and nitrite down and monitor from there.

that much purple is making me sick, gotta get some color in that

I would do a 30% water change if your nitrate and ammonia is that high. Then every 2-3 weeks do a 10%.

I go even longer but thats what you should be doing :p

Nice tank, good luck

Your ammonia is slightly concerning. Most likely, moving everything around is just causing a small cycle and a few water changes and close monitoring and you should be good to go.
oh..i missed the ammonia...sorry! yes, i agree with everyone! do at least a 30% water change as soon as you can. and then get on a weekly water change regimen until things are at safe levels.
gotta get the ammonia down. it's very harmful to your inhabitants.

ok did the 30 % change on tuesday
so Wednesday test amonia o, nitrite 0, nitrate 20
today Thursday amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40
should I do another small water change tonight or tomorrow

also want to add some more rocks
should I buy live rock, or should i use some rocks that used to be live
I have a bucket full of nice rocks
I boiled some for 2 hours just to make sure that there is nothing in them

i would add all the rock you want during the cycle. it's not a good practice to add rock after you have livestock in the tank, unless it's a small piece here and there. either way you want to go is fine...live rock or basedead rock (the boiled rock).

I would suggest that when you do your next big water change to give the tank a really good cleaning. Try to siphon down in the holes in the rocks and the spots in the tank with low flow. Anywhere that left over food and poop could easily collect. I also usually take a turkey baster and use it to jet water over the rocks and such to stir up some of the stuff that has settled. If you do this right before water changes it helps to get some of that stuff out before it breaks down. Not something to do ever water change but good practice ever now and then.

Thank you so much for helping.
I feed the fish very little every second day, until I get everything under control.
I do have some dead stuff on the walls, it looks like hairy grass,used to be pink. Guess some stuff didn't survive from the move.
For now i do water changes every second day
This morning amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40
On tuesday I did 30% water change which brought the nitrate down to 20 on wednesday morning
So thursday nitrate 40, did 10% water change at night
Friday nitrate still 40
How dangerous is that?
So when should i change water next and how much?
Algae are starting to grove

Back
Top Bottom