Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My new baby!

Here's a picture of my new baby!

He's coming with the male from the mated pair of maroons that I took the female from. I'm going to move her into my 30 with the eel and the male. I go to pick them up tomorrow night. I'm just hoping that the male hasn't gone through his change yet!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
quite nice!

Old 06-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, he's beautiful. What type of eel is he?
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beautiful Phyl!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

He was originally sold to his current owner as a Dwarf Golden Moray, but has recently been IDd as a Brazilian Golden Moray. He's been roughly a foot for the last few years so I'm hoping that the whole "doesn't reach full potential in captivity" thing rings true for him. I have a 65 in waiting that I'll get drilled if he starts to look crampy in the 30 I'm planning him for. He's in a 30 now and that's where he's been for the last 2+ years. I fell in love with him when I picked Merlot up and have been looking at them (399$) drooling for quite some time now. I'm tickled yellow to have him coming home!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
i'd have to say thats a nice eel, i love my eels..! zebras are my fav..but i'd have to say thats a nice looking eel.. how much was he?? ($399???)
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll be getting him for 100$ (SCORE!). He wanted 350 for him but had to move him in a hurry. The Brazilian doesn't look anything like this though so I'm a bit confused as to the ID. Once I get him in and snap some pics of him you'll see some more of him! He comes home tonight!

Stripes... I've never owned an eel before. Anything tricky to keeping them? I know I need to add a bit more rockwork for him but other than that....? The tank has a top on it but you can see in a tiny bit where the filters fall in. Are they all escape artists and how much do I have to worry about the gaps between the filter and the top?

Old 06-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Ive had 5 eels.. not all at once.. the most ive kept is three at a time..

Nothing too tricky...!
Escape artists - not really, at night they generally go on abit of a stroll..

My snowflake doesnt move more than halfway up the tank..unless i feed him..
and my zebra.. does occasionally try to "escape" if u wanna call it that.. but as soon as he sticks hes head out of the water he realises he cant breathe and plonks back down to the bottom..

If your worried about the gaps buy some sponge (like the kind u wash ur car with.. tear it up and stick it in the gaps..

Feeding..

No probs.. i feed once every 2-3 days..mainly prawns (shrimp) and every now and then soak in selcon for added vitamins..

Is the eel molar-toother or incisor-toothed.. that will generally tell u what to feed them..

If it is molar toothed.. when u feed it shrimp.. peel the shell.. obviously in the wild they wouldnt have this done, but it minimises the mess immensely.. ie; they'll end up regurgitating the shell..

A fair bit of rockwork..leave enough space so that will not actually topple any rocks and squish itself or any tankmates..

the hardest thing to get used to is.. the so called blankness of your tank.. it will look like nothing is in there.. but u soon realise that owning an eel outweighs the somewhat unliveliness..

Thats it i think.. oh yeah and a protein skimmer

Water changes just do them as you would a normal tank..

Any other questions I'm here to help
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

TOTALLY COOL!! 8) 8)
Old 06-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's 40g of water right now (10g sump) but no skimmer. I'll have to find out what kind of teeth he has, preferably without losing a finger in the process, lol! I think he's eating mostly prawns now (like human consumable, might have to fight my husband for them or some fish store version of these as in the difference between bait and calamare)?!

We moved the anthias into the main last night (amazing how much I miss them in my bedroom). Today we're going to do a massive water change and syphon out any remaining yuck in the tank to get it ready for the eel.

Do they need/like sand? The tank is BB right now. With the maroons in there I'd like to keep it BB, but will change it over to sand if need be for his happiness!

Tags
baby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com