Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My new buddies

Got some new fish. After my water has been checked and everything has been going well I decided to get my first set of fish. I went and purchased a flame angle, two captive clownfish, and just to help my algae problem a lawn mower blenny.( he's pretty smart and cool looking) and a piece of coral which I don't remember what it was called. I'll try and post a picture of it up when I get home. Good bunch or not?

Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im sorry, but why would you add 4 fish at once??????? Bad idea, expect an ammonia spike

Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your supposed to wait like a month between fish.... Unless its a pair. This could be bad ;(
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always gone with one a week, at max. If a pair then I would wait 2 weeks. Especially just starting off.
I agree with the other posters, you could see some ammonia, and possibly lose some fish.
Best of luck, hope you don't suffer any losses.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If he fishless cycled with ammonia he could have an incredibly strong biofilter. Depending on the size of the tank there could be some agression issues.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman
Got some new fish. After my water has been checked and everything has been going well I decided to get my first set of fish. I went and purchased a flame angle, two captive clownfish, and just to help my algae problem a lawn mower blenny.( he's pretty smart and cool looking) and a piece of coral which I don't remember what it was called. I'll try and post a picture of it up when I get home. Good bunch or not?
Expect losses. Way too fast. Regardless of bio filter your asking for problems. Slow down. Impulse buying gets reefers into the biggest trouble.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to agree I haven't added more than one fish at a time to have ever experienced this problem. But there could be issues. If you have lots of LR for hiding it may help the aggression possibly if they can find a place to hide. I would think a ammonia spike is gonna happen , do get extra water ready in case or some Ammo-lock , I keep a small bottle on hand and my tank has been going for over 6 months. I think if you keep and eye on you water and be ready for a emergency water change if need you may survive this with just a lesson learned .... And that should be
" Nothing good ever happens fast in a marine aquarium "
hope this helps .
Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

This tank has been running for about 6-7 months with just some hermit crabs and one cleaner shrimp. 72 gallons with and emperor 240 filter and a filstar XP3 canister filter along with a protein skimmer. I have do e this before and no losses. Why would this cause a huge spike of ammonia? I have hiding places. (70 lbs of live rock so far)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Because all these new introductions create more waste, that your BB is not used to handling. When the BB can't handle the waste the ammonia builds up.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exactly. It doesn't matter how old the tank is, it matters how much bacteria is in it. You have to give it time to catch up. It's used to filtering the couple of inverts, then right to many fish. They will not be able to catch up fast enough, resulting in ammonia and probably death.

Tags
die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com