Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tangs easily get marine ich when stressed....

Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16

Sorry to barge in and completely change the subject but I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I was just wondering about what you said with the ich....how can she get ich by having 3 tangs in there?
Tangs are very prone to ich, and for some reason can get it very very easily. Sometimes it is because they are handeled wrong and become stressed, but its usually because owners purchase them and put them in tanks that are way too small. This stresses them out -> they get ich -> all of the other fish get ich -> if not treated they all die.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is no place safe from the tang police? Honestly do you people think someone is going to see your posts and think to themselves, "you know that random guy online is probably right and if my fish will get 12 inches in a year or so then I should really hurry and take my tang back to a typical LFS that's not going to refund my money or give me credit". I mean really it's a tang, its not going to get full grown in a month. No one actually plans on keeping their full size tangs in a small tank for life.
Yeah, actually. We do think that people who may not have all the facts might appreciate the voice of experience, or they probably wouldn't be on here. It's not Tang Police, it's people who care about quality of life for fish AND fish keepers having a good experience.
Quote:
Sorry to barge in and completely change the subject but I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I was just wondering about what you said with the ich....how can she get ich by having 3 tangs in there?
Tangs are often considered "ich magnets" because they have a very thin (compared to most other fish) mucous coating which makes them much more susceptible to the ich parasite. Essentially, adding three tangs to a tank is almost a guarantee of adding ich. This is why quarantine is so important.
To the OP: Beautiful specimen, but be prepared for problems as they grow.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Had no idea about the other tangs in the tank as well. I would ONLY keep that one tang if I was going to put a tang in a 55, but not 3.

This is coming from me, who has a purple tang in a 40 for about a month or two until I setup a 180 because my yellow tang was beating it up in my 75g tank.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wasn't trying to be harsh, just offering advice as I see it, odds would have it that the stock in that tank won't last long, don't forget about all the waste that comes with 3 tangs. You will have a much better chance with one.
I would try to get store credit for the other 2, they really shouldn't have set you up like this. If they won't , try another store and forget about the first altogether.
Again, this is just advice, good luck with whatever you chose.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Laughing out loud (to crazydave06) to all others that posted. I accept all advice and make my own decisions. I no longer have the lavender tang. So there's only 2 tangs now. I will try not too take too long getting a bigger tank as I want my fish to be happy. I also have live pods propagating for the mandarin.

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com