Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Meet my new tang
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2356701436.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	86322  

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Scopos... Very nice!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Scopas require a 125 gallon tank. It's going to quickly outgrow a 55.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadubber
Scopas require a 125 gallon tank. It's going to quickly outgrow a 55.
I disagree. Scopas tangs can live in a 75g but can live in a 55 for some time.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb

Getting as big as 12 inches... I'd say 125g, too... Never had one, so just going off its size... Just my opinion. But housing in the 55g and upgrading I see no issues. Once again, my opinion.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb

IMO not this 55, with a yellow and a lavender tang and all the other stock. None of those tangs should be in their separately, let alone all 3 from the same Genus Zebrasoma. Tangs of the same body type don't get along with each other, these fish generally wouldn't get along in a tank 3 times that size. The only possible temporary saving grace is that you introduced them all together, but watch your water too, introducing too much too fast can cause ammonia spikes. If the Lavender Tang is a Purple Tang, that makes the situation even worse, they are very aggressive as far as tangs go. IMO your LFS should have never sold you all those fish, including the Mandarin, it was very irresponsible and greedy to do. Unless you are feeding live pods to the Mandarin he will die, even with a healthy population in your tank, he will quickly eat them all in a 55.
1 Tang might do Ok, 3 all of the same genus in a 55 will not.
The clam will need more light than 2T5's.
I would pick out which Tang you want to keep and return the other 2.
Hopefully this helps, good luck.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is no place safe from the tang police? Honestly do you people think someone is going to see your posts and think to themselves, "you know that random guy online is probably right and if my fish will get 12 inches in a year or so then I should really hurry and take my tang back to a typical LFS that's not going to refund my money or give me credit". I mean really it's a tang, its not going to get full grown in a month. No one actually plans on keeping their full size tangs in a small tank for life.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydave06
Is no place safe from the tang police? Honestly do you people think someone is going to see your posts and think to themselves, "you know that random guy online is probably right and if my fish will get 12 inches in a year or so then I should really hurry and take my tang back to a typical LFS that's not going to refund my money or give me credit". I mean really it's a tang, its not going to get full grown in a month. No one actually plans on keeping their full size tangs in a small tank for life.
Ohh....well one problem she will have is ich. She can take the advice or not it's her choice. I agree that when other people get on someone like this that it doesn't make a good forum experience but at the same time he's right. Every part. Unless the lfs didn't even ask her what size tank or other inhabitants. Then it's purely the buyers fault and should know more about fish keeping before making such a purchase. She will learn once it all crashes.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefnoob84

Ohh....well one problem she will have is ich. She can take the advice or not it's her choice. I agree that when other people get on someone like this that it doesn't make a good forum experience but at the same time he's right. Every part. Unless the lfs didn't even ask her what size tank or other inhabitants. Then it's purely the buyers fault and should know more about fish keeping before making such a purchase. She will learn once it all crashes.
Sorry to barge in and completely change the subject but I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I was just wondering about what you said with the ich....how can she get ich by having 3 tangs in there?

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com