Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #11

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
For now yes. The 60 pounds of LR will seed the sand and crushed coral. Eventually you will want more LR though. I have 200lbs in my 120g and sump tank... I have 165lbs in DT and 35lbs in sump

You may want to check the pics on my profile to get an idea.

its not crushed coral..... its a 100 pounds of whole pieces....

Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
live rock is made from coral skeletons. it's all surface area. everything you have in the tank helps. what do these coral skeletons look like? are they just pieces of coral the guy you are getting the tank from killed?

i think whoever had the idea of using the 55 as your sump had a good idea. that's what i used on the tank i maintain at the local gym.
it works perfect.
here it was when i was putting it together-

and here it is running-

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #13

POTM Champion

the coral skeletons never use to be liverock... i had them in my cichlid tank to keep the PH up

they are currently in the tub being bleached

this is what they look like

Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
no...live rock is constructed mostly of coral skeletons....not the other way around. ah. i see. they look nice. just hard to grow corals over them.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #15

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
no...live rock is constructed mostly of coral skeletons....not the other way around. ah. i see. they look nice. just hard to grow corals over them.
but they'll act as liverock, correct?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

They have decent surface area, but I'm thinking its gonna be hard to build a decent aquascape. In a 6ft tank with reef, and even just for the fish, building aquascapes that provide swim thru areas and spots to place future coral and small rock (it'll be attached to). I'd probably consider using a decent amount of base rock that you can build with. With the live rock you've got established already in the 55g, you can easily seed the base rock. Cheaper too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #17

POTM Champion

the aquascape i had in my cichlid tank with those corals allowed a lot of swim through room and caves for them.

im probably thinking i wont use most of the sharper ones... but i have some blue ones that i think would be perfect
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

If the tank is doing well, the rock gets covered in purple coraline algae and coral growth. Won't be blue for long likely. Good idea not to use the sharper ones. Check out combination sump and fuge combo applications. Maybe use it all there.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com