My Next Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so since i got my 55 gallon salt set up i've become less interested in my freshwater tanks.

so i've already sold one of my 75 gallon tanks, and will probably have the other 75 sold sometime this week.

my plan is to get a 120 or 150 gallon (6 foot tank) and transfer my 55 gallon into it and have one big saltwater tank.

Im getting more LR, more aragonite and more power heads.

I will most likely be getting a sump, what should i look for in a sump and what do i need to put in it?

For 120 gallon you will need at least a 40 gallon sump. You can get the 120 g drilled for overflow box and return. You will need in sump protein skimmer, a lot more LR for the 120, about 100lbs should be a good start and you will need a return pump. Mag7-9.5 will do. Maybe some macro algae for the sump. If you have a look at the pics on my profile of my 120g you will have a good idea.

the tank im getting is drilled and has a corner overflow. it also comes with a 55 gallon sump :)

i already have 60 pounds of liverock and about 100 pounds of dried coral skeleton. i was thinking if i put all that in there, it'll be enough once the dried coral becomes live.

also i currently have a super reef octopus LX1000 HOB skimmer. its rated for 100 gallons. it works amazingly.

i was wondering, if i could just install it into my sump and still use it as my skimmer

Alot of folks dont even use a skimmer so what you have is better than nothing but dont expect it to do as good a job as it`s doing on the smaller tank. Congrats on the upgrade.

Alot of folks dont even use a skimmer so what you have is better than nothing but dont expect it to do as good a job as it`s doing on the smaller tank. Congrats on the upgrade.

thanks. how can some people get away without using a skimmer on a large tank? are they doing PWC every week?

i personally dont want to spend thousands of dollars on salt.

ill probably sell this skimmer and buy a bigger one for my sump

I think it`s a good idea to get a bigger skimmer. I love my skimmer and would not do with out but I know several that dont use one and yes the do weekly PWC`s.

thanks. how can some people get away without using a skimmer on a large tank? are they doing PWC every week?

i personally dont want to spend thousands of dollars on salt.

ill probably sell this skimmer and buy a bigger one for my sump

That would be a good idea. I used a Octopus BH1000 on my 46 g it was rated up to 90 g, but if you plan on keeping corals I would invest in bigger in sump skimmer. You could sell your skimmer for about $120 and pick up a new in sump one for about $250-$300. It will be well worth it. For the time being though you can use your HOB in your sump, but I would recommend getting a proper skimmer, will save you money in the long run :)

thanks for the advice.

would 60 pounds of LR and 100 pounds of coral skeleton be enough for a 120 or 150 gallon tank?

For now yes. The 60 pounds of LR will seed the sand and crushed coral. Eventually you will want more LR though. I have 200lbs in my 120g and sump tank... I have 165lbs in DT and 35lbs in sump

You may want to check the pics on my profile to get an idea.

For now yes. The 60 pounds of LR will seed the sand and crushed coral. Eventually you will want more LR though. I have 200lbs in my 120g and sump tank... I have 165lbs in DT and 35lbs in sump

You may want to check the pics on my profile to get an idea.

its not crushed coral..... its a 100 pounds of whole pieces....

live rock is made from coral skeletons. it's all surface area. everything you have in the tank helps. what do these coral skeletons look like? are they just pieces of coral the guy you are getting the tank from killed?

i think whoever had the idea of using the 55 as your sump had a good idea. that's what i used on the tank i maintain at the local gym.
it works perfect.
here it was when i was putting it together-
img_1203134_0_e80fcf8a0c08d504d3a7320e39f4fb1c.jpg

and here it is running-
img_1203134_1_d333f1b6ba40445f71847c887c4525a7.jpg

the coral skeletons never use to be liverock... i had them in my cichlid tank to keep the PH up

they are currently in the tub being bleached

this is what they look like

75348_10150312804685567_676325566_15668952_5334752_n.jpg

no...live rock is constructed mostly of coral skeletons....not the other way around. ah. i see. they look nice. just hard to grow corals over them.

They have decent surface area, but I'm thinking its gonna be hard to build a decent aquascape. In a 6ft tank with reef, and even just for the fish, building aquascapes that provide swim thru areas and spots to place future coral and small rock (it'll be attached to). I'd probably consider using a decent amount of base rock that you can build with. With the live rock you've got established already in the 55g, you can easily seed the base rock. Cheaper too.

the aquascape i had in my cichlid tank with those corals allowed a lot of swim through room and caves for them.

im probably thinking i wont use most of the sharper ones... but i have some blue ones that i think would be perfect

If the tank is doing well, the rock gets covered in purple coraline algae and coral growth. Won't be blue for long likely. Good idea not to use the sharper ones. Check out combination sump and fuge combo applications. Maybe use it all there.

Back
Top Bottom