my peppermint shrimp won't touch aptasia!???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billy302

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 5 peppermint shrimp in my tank for about 2 months now and not one of them will eat aptasia. All of my aptasia are very small, less than a quater inch long and very thin. I just don't get it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bill

I've heard that it's really hit or miss with the aptasia. Are you putting food in the tank? Maybe they are not interested because there's better things to eat.

I can't remember exactly but a guy was telling me that only peppermints from a certain part of the world eat aptasia.

There is a kind of shrimp that looks similar to peppermints that is sometimes (mistakenly) sold as peppermints. They have what looks like a hump in their back. I think they're called Camel Shrimp. They don't eat aiptasia.

There are other ways to zap aptasia.
You can make a slurry out of Kalk and inject them with it (just go slow with it), or many have had good luck with injections of "Joe's juice".

I'm on my second container of Joe's Juice and the just keep comming back, the juice works, but I'm just looking for a more perminant solution. I also am aware of camel shrimp and am positive that all of my shrimp are true peppermints. Should I try to starve them?

Should I try to starve them?
What is your feeding schedule? How big are the shrimp? If they are babies, it may take some time before them will go after them.

As you are finding out there is no guarantee in with these eating aptasia.

They say emeralds eat bubble algae.. The crabs I had never touched it...
Keep nuking them.... good luck

Peppermint shrimp are not guaranteed to eat aiptasia. This is only their claim-to-fame. Most will eat aiptasia, but some will not. Even if you do have the correct species.
To get them to eat aiptasia for sure is to buy the shrimp young and place them in a fuge or QT tank with LR that is infested with the stuff. You are now raising your pepps to eat aiptasia and for them to enjoy eating it as well.

I have 2 pepps (L. wurdemanni) and they hide from my aiptasia. Keep at it with Joe's Juice and you will some day catch-up with them.

I have aiptasia in my sump. I leave them alone. They have not spread to my main tank and are not causing any problems. If yours are actually causing a problem for your other coral I say go with the Joe's Juice, otherwise give the shrimp some time.

It took my 3 pepps about 5 months before they would touch a rock that had them on it. I had about 10 aps on it. Now they are gone... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom