My Pistol Shrimp and Goby Pics and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Here are some pics of my Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp. Both are doing fine and hang out together at all times of the day. Every time the Shrimp digs a new cave, the Goby moves over there. Pretty cool stuff. :)

- Diet. I've been feeding Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 Frozen food and some frozen Krill. He eats like there is no tomorrow, stuffing his face. Is this normal for them to have a huge appetitite?

- Gills. He seems to pass some of the food through his gills, near his fins. Is there something wrong with him or is this natural?

- Snails. He seems to nip at my Nassarius snails, I saw him bite the antenna off of one of them and pick him up by the shell and drag him into his cave. Normal again? I feed him lots, not sure why he attacks my poor snails. hehe.

Anyhow, hope you like the pics. I have troubles getting my Canon Powershot A510 to focus good on aquarium pictures.

Attachments

• goby_1_small_376.jpg
    goby_1_small_376.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 42
  • goby_2_small_101.jpg
    goby_2_small_101.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 52
  • goby_3_small_866.jpg
    goby_3_small_866.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 46
You saw my other post and just wanted to make me jealous, didn't you! Very cool! Do you know what kind of pistol that is?

Hahaha, I did see yours but didn't want to interrupt your thread. :)

It is a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. The Goby is a Blue Spotted Watchman Goby. I got both from Saltwaterfish.com. The Goby is mean though, I was just watching and he took one of my crabs for a ride through the tank. haha. Didn't eat him this time.

I hurried up and threw some Krill in to stuff his face. :D

Very nice! For me, this symbiotic relationship is just as fun to watch as the anemone and clown. Take note of the pistol's antena. Whenever it is out of the den it will keep one antena on the goby at all times. If it can not feel the goby it shots back into the den. Very cool.

Wow. My yellow watchman and pistol live near each other but don't come out together. I have never seen the shrimps whole body. Nice pics.

I just feed blender mush to satisy the whole tank. Nothing special.

My mandarin blows sand out his gills, on each side, after he goes after a pod in teh sand.

It blows straight up like a blow-hole on a whale.

Almost like smoke coming from a dragon's nostrils!

I think its they're way of getting rid of the bites they don't want, maybe that's what yours is doing.

Thanks all for the posts.

Scoot, thanks for letting me know about the sand through his gills. That must be what mine is doing, just getting rid of stuff he doesn't want / need. They are so fun to watch!

in the wild, the pistol shrimp dig the holes, but are pretty blind when it comes to predators, so when the shrimp finds out the goby has run into his hole, the shrimp goes in too

learned that on a magic school bus episode long time ago...

in the wild, the pistol shrimp dig the holes, but are pretty blind when it comes to predators, so when the shrimp finds out the goby has run into his hole, the shrimp goes in too

learned that on a magic school bus episode long time ago...

LOL

Back
Top Bottom