Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
My plans..

Hey,

I plan to be building a overflow soon and setitng upa sump..

I plan on makin a 600gph overflow (approx) then gettnig a pump to give me 200-250 gph at 4' head. for my 15 gallon tank..

The sump wil be my 29 I used to have setup. does any1 see anything wrong with this?

Also, Heating I know I wil have toget heaters large enuf for 44 gallons. Wat about W/C do I doa change equiv for 44 gallons or 15 gallons? I am assuming 44 if so what do yall suggest? 3-4 gallons a wk? is 250 gallons going to be enuf?? any more and I think it wil lbe a dustbowl in the display tank?

any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Jacob

Old 10-28-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

If it were me (though thankfully it isn't as of yet), I would use the 15 as the sump and the 29 as the main tank. But I will be interested in reading what others have to say on this subject as I am only in the beginning stages of everything and would like to get it done right.

Old 10-28-2002, 04:24 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I will respond for jacob as I am aware of his setup.

What you descibe is usually the way to setup a tank and sump system. In fact jacob recently moved his system from the 29 to the 15 because he wanted to use some existing lighting for an anenome. The 15 gal is a shorter tank so that effecivly increases the intensity of the lights he was using on the 29.

So now he has a 29 that is empty and is ready to be used for a sump since its not being used for anything else at the moment.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
What he said hehe thanx Aaron..

Yes a 15 long is the same length adn width of a 29 so I could use my lighting off the 29 on my 15.. but since a 15 is soo much shorter the intensity of the light is much much more.. this gave me ability for anemones..

I have been told a 29 sump and a 15 display should make for a veyr clean and reliable tank. just wondering bout circulation and water changes..

I plan to have the 29 drillled MAYBE depends If I can find a good submersible.

Jacob
Old 10-29-2002, 02:22 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
do you plan on having a refugium in your sump? you may be in a lighting situation again.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I have the lighting I wil if not I will not hehe.

What is the lighting needed for a refugium?

Jacob
Old 10-29-2002, 08:19 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
macroalgae is great on reducing nitates. pc's work great for raising it in a refugium. plus omnipods and other pod do good when you put live rock in . great feed for your fish.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

any suggestions on WPG? thanx for the advice... I swill mostlikely start with a sump then head to a refugium.. I understand the Sump wil be primary and refugium secondary. you can reverse these I been told but I feel a sump will be a good thing for now and I can slowly get the refugium "up to par"

Jacob
Old 10-30-2002, 01:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Morgan
Yes a 15 long is the same length adn width of a 29
Jacob
A 15 gal tank, the same length and width as a 29, would only be 9" tall... I believe this tank is a 20, which is 12" tall.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:46 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you enter the measurements into this calculator it will give you a good approx size.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2...e=tankcapacity

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com