Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to visuvius
My powerhead keeps falling...

I have a 20 gallon tank and 1 powerhead. The PH stays on the side of the tank with 4 small suction cups. Problem is, the suction cups keep unsticking themselves from the wall of the tank. It's never actually fallen to the floor, but usually the top 2 come off. This is a real pain in the *** and I was hoping someone could suggest some way to make the **** suction cups hold.

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, your frustration is showing

One of the best methods I've seen is to silicone the powerhead to an algae magnet. I'ts kind of expensive, but they won't have to be replaced and it will hold

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What is the make of the PH. I know some PH's have alternate methods of hanging them on the glass.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Siliconed the sucker to a magnet, huh? Hey, I like that.

Normally what I do is epoxy the **** things to a long piece of plexi, and then shove the plexi in the gravel. The force of the powerhead blowing water keeps it pinned against the glass. I've actually suspended the things from the top of my tanks this way if I want them to point straight down.

You'd think the egg-heads that build these contraptions could build a long, U-shaped black piece of plexi that could simply hang over the side of your tank and yet allow you to adjust the depth of the powerhead down to a reasonable amount. Instead we get suction cups that insure you'll become an expert at digging sand out of the impellar with a pair of pliars when they fall bottom first into the substrate.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:20 PM   #5

I jsut recently bought a PW 402... as far as I could see all the kits cam with an over the side hanging tool... It had a screw in the bag for different thickness of glass then it has ridges on the inside of the tank to set the proper height.... I have suction cups... but LFS sells good ones for $1.. so I always stock up.

Jc
Old 11-04-2003, 03:32 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to visuvius
It's a RIO. However, I think for the moment the crisis has been averted -- I did a minor LR move and the PH is now sort of propped up nicely. Hopefully it'll stay.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have resorted to taping the cord to the back of my stand or tying up cords. Once you have undeepsandbedded your DSB because of a suction cup failure, you take precautions.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ya i have to say I feel RIO's have bad luck with the small suction cups. At least the small RIO's.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had trouble with several brands. I don't chances anymore. The rubber seems to deteriorate over time.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I have resorted to taping the cord to the back of my stand or tying up cords
Same here. Square knot the stupid power cord around the top of my skimmer if I have to. "G'head, fall now you piece of junk!" Of course murphy's law dictates that will be the time a large turbo snail pushes it around so my Aquaclear 802 shoots straight into my sand bed from a range of 10 inches. Takes about 30seconds for one of those to move 50lbs of sand from one side of the tank to the other while my clownfish laughs at me.

The clamps that come with some power heads are fine----if you only want to agitate the surface. That's where the little plastic downward deflector comes in, and tends to solve this whole mess provided you have one. My personal favorite is when the outflow nozzle gets obstructed some how, and the normal venturi intake becomes a high pressure exhaust and blows about 10 gallons of water onto the carpet through the vinyl tube you left on by accident.

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com