my powerhead sucks air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just put my mag 18 in my sump and the intake is about 3 inches under water. some how the intake creates a little vortex or something so small its about the size of a string, that sucks air from 3 inches under the water. i didn't even know this was possible, how do i fix it? puts tons of bubbles into my tank.
steve

there is no air intake hole. the water intake hole is creating like tornadoe motion in the water and its taking air in the water intake. i can't put anymore water in the sump either otherwise it will overflow if the pump ever turns off.
steve

Can you run the pump/powerhead upside down...this would put the intake farther from the surface.

You basically need more water in the sump to cover up the pump. Or you need to move the pump around so that the intake is as deep as possible to avoid the whirlpool effect.

I have the same problem with my mags when the water level gets lower than perfect. try putting a pipe on the intake (non fliexible/pvc so it won't move around or be pinched closed) use an elbow piece so the water is sucked in from the bottom of the sump. This would take up alot of space though.

Back
Top Bottom