Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
My pumping Xeina's are growing on my Glass!

Hey all,

About a month or so ago I pur a small 2-stalk rock of Pumping Xeina's in my tank, Since than it has grown 3 additional stalks 1 of which is attached to the glass!!

I didn't know they'd attach to the glass!?!?!

I am going to have to start thinking about fragging this guy out, as it is just growing soo fast.

If I remember reading right, I can just pull a stock off the rock, and rubberband it to a piece of LR rubble for a few days untill it re attaches?

Can you glue it to the rock? or is that only for hard corals?

thanks all..

-TheChad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104_1483_105.jpg (228.4 KB, 22 views)

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't know about gluing a softy like that...that is a beautiful coral...you could always send me a frag!!!! As far as growing on things it will grow on just about any surface it can get ahold of!!! I would love a peice of that coral!! I think they are usually just placed in a low flow area on a rock and they will attach themselves to it....I've not had the problem of them growing like you do...sure would like a piece of that coral....HTHs

hehehe

Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is beautifully colored xenia. I keep xenia only on my glass, it's easy to keep it in check there. Removing it from rock is just about impossible without removing and scrubbing the rock. And as you see it grows very fast. It can become a nuisance and start over taking the tank/rock work if not kept in check.
Quote:
Can you glue it to the rock? or is that only for hard corals?
Gluing softies is difficult. I'd use a rubberband or tooth pick to stabilize it. HTH
Old 02-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Gosh, do you think maybe Ziggy is hinting for a frag? lol.

It is a gorgeous coral.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well...I would certainly love to have a piece of that!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
Well...I would certainly love to have a piece of that!!!!!!

It Could be arranged!

It's growing fast, and I'm going to have to frag it, So I might as well share the love.

I just need to figure out where to get small LR rubble to attach them to.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
Old 02-24-2007, 02:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My gf wants ot get some of that for the tank we are making for her
Old 02-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

xenia is so light and thin, you could probably just get a stalk that would allow you to rubberband it to a rock. I have done this with good results. They attach quicker than most corals, IMO.

Xenia is a horrible shipper so it is hard to sell unless you are close. I have 2 different species and I am having trouble gettng rid of it. Mine grows on the overflow and makes it real easy to frag.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have not had any luck fragging my xenia. It pretty much turns to mush and you can not work with it. It does like to climb, I suggest putting some larger pieces of LR rubble next to the xenia and let it climb onto the rock itself. It is the best way I have found to move parts of the colony.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
I have not had any luck fragging my xenia. It pretty much turns to mush and you can not work with it. It does like to climb, I suggest putting some larger pieces of LR rubble next to the xenia and let it climb onto the rock itself. It is the best way I have found to move parts of the colony.

I am going to contact my LFS and see if they will buy frags from me. I don't know how much their worth?

If worst comes to worst I guess I can just pull stocks off to keep it colony thined out..

-TheChad

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com